Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Free online credit report - scary!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TX Mudder, Sep 24, 2004.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I checked my credit report on one of those free for 30 days offers. I knew my credit was bad, but OMG I don't think they'd lend me 99 cents for 2 tacos.

I have 24 delinquent accounts. In my defense, some of them are from credit card compaines assigning my case to a collection agency so now it's 2 accounts instead of 1.

In another 2 years, some of it will roll off my report (>7 years since account activity.)

Who else has terrible credit?

As soon as this is off my credit, I am going to work hard to get my credit perfect. I have learned so many lessons, especially about credit cards, from this.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

which one did you use, i wanna see mine

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Hey TX Mudder, if you wanna clean some of this up, send me a PM and I'll shoot you some pointers.

Last Feburaury 03' my score was a 330, it's now a 712. Nothing shady. Just responsible ways of fixing your credit that people are left out in the dark on, cause the people with the answers are the ones putting negative crap on your credit.

4. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I think my credit score is 7. I haven't used a credit card in almost 3 years, and i'm still in a friggin hole the size of texas!

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    In another 2 years, some of it will roll off my report (>7 years since account activity.)

As soon as this is off my credit, I am going to work hard to get my credit perfect. I have learned so many lessons, especially about credit cards, from this.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do I understand this right? You're going to let some of your outstanding debt slide since it's so old? Don't you think the right thing to do would be to pay those debts that you incurred even 6 or 7 years ago? How is that not dishonest or stealing? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I'd like to know how to get better rates on interest charges! I'm paying like 27% annually.... You'd think someone would be willing to give me a better rate to knock that down some and I was told that companies start seeking you out after paying the high rates for a long time and offering you a lower rate to buy the account. That hasn't happend so far for me...

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm paying like 27% annually....

[/ QUOTE ]

HOLY CHIT!!!

8. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Landsmasher - call them and ASK for a lower rate! It works. Some may or may not give you a better deal, but in my exp. the major credit companys will if your current on payments. It may only be 5%-better than nothin'. I got a 0% offer from mastercard for 6 months once...then it went up to 12%...and initially it was 21%!

9. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder 1/2 ton status

I sent a dispute letter to all 3 reporting agencies. I disputed everything on my report. I did this twice in about a 6 month period. Everything is gone except 2 minor little issues. I can email the letters to anybody who wants them. just fill them out and send them in. Let me know.

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So do I understand this right? You're going to let some of your outstanding debt slide since it's so old? Don't you think the right thing to do would be to pay those debts that you incurred even 6 or 7 years ago? How is that not dishonest or stealing? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How is bankruptcy not stealing then? It's not illegal to not be able to pay your debts in this day and age. Immoral, yes, but not illegal.

My credit score likely sucks, but only because I'm young and haven't borrowed that much money.

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

credit reports are fawkin bogus bullsh!t, I have perfect credit but the last 2 times we bought a house they said I had an oustanding debt on my discover card, I don't have a fawkin discover card but 5 other people with my same name that live in different states do, the credit report people need to have something large shoved up their asses fo fawking with people, I eventually had to yell and scream at the people at discover to fax me a statement that said it wasn't mine, they suck major ass too...Just another fine example of people not doing their job but instead hiding in their cubicals finger [censored] themselves.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

12. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I used freecreditreport.com
    If you cancel withing the first 30 days (I cancelled the firts day) they charge you nothing.
    Warning, they will try to make you wait 7-10 days for htem to mail you a security code. That is BS, call the 888 number and ask for your securty code NOW. I told them that was BS and they could either give it to me now or iw ould cancel right then.

Regarding paying old debt - I do not have the $30,000 (or more) that it would take. I am not saying that what I have done is right. I am not going to debate with anyone the morally correct thing to do since I have no leg to stand on.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it doesn't just go away when you pay it, if you're late or resolve the debt, your credit report still says you paid late or that the account was in collections. He may have paid them off 5 years ago and not want to be bothered trying to clean up the mess they left if they're just going to roll off. I think I had similar problems.

Hey fumes, my first card ever was a discover card, and I think they royally screwed up my credit. I can't remember if I ever actually had any debt with them or not, though...

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

...or nevermind... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Gotcha...now that makes sense! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm no angel myself, and just spent about $1200 cleaning up my credit report...money well spent IMO.

Timmay....yes, I think declaring bankruptsy is sometimes inevitible when circumstances such as layoffs occur with no lifeline. I had a friend that had that happen, but he went back after he was solid again and paid most of his debts. However, declaring bankruptsy because you overextended and can't pay off your new house/truck/car/boat/ect is something I can't stomach. I realize those people have 7 years of bad luck following them, but yes, they stole that money! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree with you Brian.

Keep in mind that the credit places will GIVE you a free credit report if you've been recently declined for credit or anything!!!

You are entitled to a free credit in this instance by law!! Don't pay for a credit report!

As to your credit score, if anyone knows of a company that will tell me mine, I'd be interested. They're not suppose to share this information. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    call them and ASK for a lower rate! It works.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried that and it didn't work. So my next plan is to just pay it all off in a couple of chunks and then ask again... Only next time I will ask my bank first...

18. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

That is correct, actually in most cases if the account has been inactive for several years and then you pay it off, it will HURT your credit because there is recent activity on that collection. If you are that close to hitting seven years you may be better off waiting.

But, be warned about places like that "freecreditreport.com", the reason they are giving you a freebie is that they are going to sell all of your information off to people for marketing purposes. In most states the three reporting agencies are required to provide you with a copy of your report every year for free, so that's how I do it.

As far as the dishonest or stealing comment, you have to realize that by the time it goes to collection the original creditor has sold your account for pennies on the dollar to a collection agency (typically 50% or less) and the collector is then going to try to collect on the full amount plus any fees they can cram down your throat. All the while the original debtor has written off the difference as a loss, while you're still liable for the full amount.

19. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I got a credit report about a year ago and it was 690, in the past year I've paid off $6K in debits and closed two credit cards. So I'm guessing its closer to 700 now, maybe higher but I charged my tires on my sears card with interest free, 10% off and price matching so I couldn't pass that up. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

20. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

As far as the dishonest or stealing comment, you have to realize that by the time it goes to collection the original creditor has sold your account for pennies on the dollar to a collection agency (typically 50% or less) and the collector is then going to try to collect on the full amount plus any fees they can cram down your throat. All the while the original debtor has written off the difference as a loss, while you're still liable for the full amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep a couple years back I had a card do some jacked up stuff with my account and it went over the limit and paid over the phone and that didn't settle the account for that month and double charged me and all kinds of messes. So I called in said hey I have $2600 on this card, IF I pay it all off right now over the phone, bottom line what will it take, they knocked off $890 if I paid the account in full. So I just used my tax check and paid off the card. That $890 showed up later on in the next years taxes as income because its a debt not paid and they (the government) took about $100 out of that next years refund for it also because it showed as a profit (when in fact the $890 they knocked off was interest and overdraft and late fees). /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif