Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

free shackle flip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DangerB, Mar 27, 2000.

1. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of using the stock shackle hanger/shackle and just cutting and flipping it. Someone else did this (dont remember who), thanks. I did it last weekend and went a step further. Made a brace. 1/4" angle, you have to cut the V and it will bolt right up. install shackle and tighten, then weld. It works and looks good in case there are more cheap suckers like me around (I bet there are).
    I dont have dig. camera or scanner so heres a drawing.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

2. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Who needs a digital camera?! That's a nice pic DangerB!

Dimensions?

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

3. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

thanks, its Solidworks software. Great stuff. I will get the dims. tonight and post em tommorrow.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Does this mean no more 36" tires on your stock truck, or ya goin to 40's????

haha
    Oh yeah, I'm doing the shackle flip finally!!! this weekend in fact and I needed a good brace idea. Thanks for the picture, DB!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

How do you like the solid works? Have met acouple of people using it and like it and I'm still stuck in AutoCAD.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

6. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

Hey Danger looks good, but how much height did this give you?

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!

7. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

CP87JIMMY told me that I owe thanks to COREY88 for this one, preciate it dude. Normally I would remember the dimensions, but heres how it was done. I took a cutting torch and a piece of what was probably 4"x7"x1/4" angle out in the driveway. Cut 2 pieces 3" wide, cut an inch off the long side was perfect, cut a hole big enough for clearance, cut the V just right. I could have used the saw, drill press and a square but the theme with this old girl is smashed and butchered so ef it ya know.
    My driveway has a double hump in it so I wont know for sure how high the lift is till this weekend when she ROLLS! I am thinking that there is 7" but at least 6 1/2". I may have to do a shackle extension in the front to compensate. Hope that doesnt cause an unforeseen problem?
    I absolutely love solidworks C'moe. Been using it for almost a year and hate when I have to even open a print in Acad. That pic was just a WAG I thru together in 5 min.

DangerBrett[​IMG]

8. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

If your shackle is 4" and you flipped it upside down then you've moved the eye bolt 8" down (i.e. raised the truck up 8" heigher) except that you're only doing it on one end, so you've really lifted the rear by 4". (i.e. rear of spring is 8" heigher, middle where it hits u-bolts is 4" higher, and front of spring is same.) I can't see how it would measure any differently unless the middle of the spring is not where it hits the axel...

Corey sound about right?

88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

9. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Dam Steve, good point. This is getting weird though. Let me explain. The rear shackle is 4"x2, but the shackle sits at an angle and appears to lose an inch total, so we would be approx. 3-1/2" at the axle right? SO WHY does it sit higher than the 4" front lift when the rear sagged 2" before?

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>harder, faster, longer, stronger</font color=blue>

10. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

I did that on my K5 about 3 years ago when I added a set up National springs in the rear. They were out of a Class 8 race truck so they had no positive arch. I didn't want to add a bunch of lift blocks so I decided to flip the shackle.At the time I had 8" superlift springs in front so I still had to add a 3" block .

11. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

well, ok then that does sound weird.

BTW: Just took at look at my stock shackle and it's perfectly straight, i.e., no angle. Maybe you've got longer/shorter springs in the back on yer 79 than I do on my 88?

Anyone ever think of replacing the stock rear/rear shackle hanger with a rear/front shackle hanger? Looks like it might work, but not quite give the amount of lift. (Sorry don't have a ruler on me..)

88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

12. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about doing the front rear spring shackle bracket in the rear, since it already opens down. A friend of mine said I could have them off his junked truck if I came and took them off.
    CB

13. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Hey I'll be happy to help you do the install neighbor!

88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com