Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Free speech

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bear76, Apr 10, 2007.

1. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

As long as you appologize:rolleyes: .

2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

no such thing... anymore

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The way its written is we have freedom of speech , and of the press . Spoken words and written words .

It was written to keep government from silencing its opponents :bow::bow:

Someday , many of the publics sleeping numbers will wake up and stand for those principles again .

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yes, freedom of speech is essentially all about being able to vocally oppose the government without the government coming down on you. Any citizen can still flip you ****, but the government isn't supposed to be able to.

That said, just because everyone is free to express themselves it doesn't mean that there aren't consequences. If I wanted to become a racist "white leader" and spew all kinds of hate-filled white power BS, I could certainly do that.... at the same time, my employer could fire my ass... my friends could disown me... and the rest of the nation could just kick my ass in the press. I am free to say whatever I want, but the flip side of freedom is responsibility. This Imus guy, IMO what he said was 1/10000000000000th as offensive as the BS I hear down in the 'hood on my commute every single day. His employers didn't like it, though, and they are completely free to suspend him for a few weeks.... and "black leaders" are free to flip him **** also.

j

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well said. What Imus said has nothing to do with a Constitutional right - there is no prosecution that I am aware of.

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Prosecution, no. Persecution, yes... but thats not protected by the constitution either. :haha:

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I heard the press conference held by the rutgers b- ball team.. what they should have said was, " hey, Imus should go back to rehab"... instead, it's time to play the victim..

Listening to sharpton / jackson talk about racism is always a treat, isn't it?

google "tawana brawley", and "hymietown" if you'd like a deeper understanding of how the race pimps operate..

Of course, what Imus said was stupid, and his employers can do whatever they want, I could care less what happens to him..