Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Free T Bird!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 3 on the tree, Jan 28, 2006.

1. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

After a year of waiting, I finally got this 70 Bird for free. 49K miles, but the exterior is trashed from sitting outside for 20 years.
    I have spent the last 4 weekends patching rodent eaten wires, replacing a blown up starter, scrounging tires and wheels, and finally wiiring toggle switches and push buttons to get it running. Believe it or not, this is a 1 owner car. The orig owner had the Ford dealership in town, and bought this new in 69, drove it approx 4 years, then bought a new Lincoln and just left this sitting since then. I even have the original title.
    Drove it home today, bout 2 miles-damn this beast has some cojones!!! Now it can sit the rest of the winter, till the snow melts and I can start on the body work and exhaust.
    I know it has the wrong nameplate, but its still cool. BTW, that 429 engine has 10.5 comp ratio factory and was rated at 360 horses, and 480 FtLbs of toeque!!! For those who are Ford savvy, it has the D0VE heads and block.

Big Bird 001.jpg

Big Bird 002.jpg

Big Bird 003.jpg

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

You Suck :haha::rotfl::D:waytogo:

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Did you have to run a lead substitute in the gas when you drove it home?

4. 3 on the tree

No lead substitute. Expert mechanics claim that older engines have enough lead deposits built up on valves and seats to protect them, UNTIL a valve job is done. At that point, hardened seats and valves will have to be installed. I am concerned about pinging, due to the comp ratio. I have been told by a couple of old mechanics that as long as I keep it at this altitude (8000ft), I can get by on 87 octane.

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

"ell of a score!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Ya didn't have to sleep with him to get it, I hope! :o

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

429's crank!...

We had a few 429's in some of the Merc station wagons in the junkyard I worked at..sold all of them quickly,once a person saw one that still ran,it did not take long for word to sperad,and the phone to start ringing!..they are getting pretty rare now..

I had a chance to buy one for 100 bucks,but had no ford or other use for it..

I was tempted to buy it anyway, and hoard it..but a friend of mine I told about it bought it to put in his 72 F-350 Ramp truck...after he swapped it in place of the tired 390 it formerly had,he could tow a car on the ramp,AND one on the tow bar,and easily PASS my brothers E-350 ramp truck with a 351 HO motor ,that was not a slug by any means,with only his Citation ice racer on board,going up steep hills in NH on our way to the races!..the 429 definately has tons of torque!..

Glad to see you got it running!..its cool to get an old car free,that is actually in restorable shape and runs!..yours looks fairly rust free,at least in the pictures,no rot holes anyway...the 1970 cars and trucks had the highest compression ratios of any year in many makes and models..after 1972 they dropped drastically,and so did HP,torque,and gas mileage..:(

we sold the ones at the junkyard for 400 and 500 each...one ran sweet,the other was a high milage motor that sat,and ran OK,but would need work soon,like a timing chain,etc..bet it would be a long search to find a running 429 around here now..:crazy:

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

my brother would say the same thing.BUT i'm gonna say POOPHEAD.:laugh: :laugh: man thats waaaaay to cool.you lucky blankity blank.:D

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Why yes,,,yes he does...:wink1:

9. 3 on the tree

I'm happy to see that not everyone is a Ford hater!
    This spring it will get primered black. Then Flo 40s inplace of the 2 mufflers and 2 resonators. I have some good 30X9.50 Wrangler GT/A tires to mount on it,just don't know what wheels it will get-looking at some factory Cherokee alum wheels right now. As soon as the snow is gone (May), I will see about the power sunroof's operation. I don't want to get it open right now, and not be able to close it!! Anyone have some chrome 429 valve covers for sale (cheap)???

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I just hate all things new.

11. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I can definately see that thing about 3 inches off the ground WITHOUT 20 inch rims.

Of course you'll have to add some flame throwers to keep the tailgaters back.:D

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Good score. The sporty t-birds are cool. The only ones I don't like are land barges that came later.