Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

free transfer case lowering?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88jimmy4x4, Oct 26, 2003.

1. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

I am going to be installing a 6" lift soon and I was gonna order a t-case lowering kit, however after looking at the installation instructions and pics, it appears to be just some 1" spacers. While under my Jimmy I noticed GM gave me some spacers from the factory, just on wrong side of crossmember.

My question is, can I simply move the spacers to the top of the crossmember between the frame and crossmember for a 1" drop?.....will this be strong enough?

[​IMG]

2. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

sure you COULD do that and yes I have seen it done... but I wouldent ever do it... think about you much stain your puttin on those spacer and whats thats gonna do to your frame with the crossmember mounted flush aginst somthing it distrubes the load better.... its the same reason you dont use washers as wheel spacers /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

yes, people do it all the time. second thought- find some thick poly mounts or something, or just some steel that ain't hollow, and dril a hole in in, some 1" circle steel.

4. 88jimmy4x4

Thanks guys...thats kinda my opinion too, seems like it would be weak as hell. The lift companies sell these things and some use spacers and some use a thin wall square tbg which neither impressed me.

I guess I will just make some at work out of 1" plate and make it the length of the crossmember contact at the frame.

Is 1" enough for a 6" lift?

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

yea some real thick 1x2 square tubing or somthen like that would work good... btw why do you want to lower it anyways?

6. Curtis2kul

Curtis2kul Registered Member

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
    go ahead and do it, mine is like that and i have no problems

7. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

it's not a good idea- just because you have'nt had any problems doesn't mean it's ok. like people with half tons and 44s. not all of them break them, definitely a bad idea though.

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

The problem really doesnt show itself till you hook the Xmember on something and twist the crap out of the rails and Xmember. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Something that disperses the load is MUCH better.

9. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Buy a Tuff Country lift kit. They come with some real nice ones for free!

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

the steel to make your own would probably only cost $10 unless you went with a bar

11. Pure Insanity

[ QUOTE ]
    the steel to make your own would probably only cost $10 unless you went with a bar

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, mine are 1.5 square tube 1/4" wall and only cost a few bucks. They make hitch recievers out of 1/4 wall, I think itll do just fine as a spacer.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

seems pretty clear that the spacers are there from the factory for a reason.... if its not to lower the tcase, what is it? I ran my tcase lowered that way for quite some time... never a single problem. If there had been a problem, meh, Id just sue GM and win a hundred gazillion dollars or something. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

13. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

i know of quite a few who have done that and they havent had any problems with them.

14. Pure Insanity

[ QUOTE ]
    i know of quite a few who have done that and they havent had any problems with them.

[/ QUOTE ]Not to be an ass but just cause people do something doesnt make it right. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Yeah itll work, but its not the best way to do it. Hook the Xmember on somethin and youll see. 2 pieces of square tube is cheap. Why skimp?

15. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

if you use that logic of GM giving you free spacers to put between your crossmember and frame to lower your t-case, then i would like for you to use your same logic on your gear box, since GM must want you to space that 1 inch from the frame too.

....good luck with the spacers, i wouldnt put them between my crossmember and frame.

16. Pure Insanity

[ QUOTE ]
    if you use that logic of GM giving you free spacers to put between your crossmember and frame to lower your t-case, then i would like for you to use your same logic on your gear box, since GM must want you to space that 1 inch from the frame too.

....good luck with the spacers, i wouldnt put them between my crossmember and frame.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Theres gotta be a reason GM put them there but I havent got a clue what it was. Maybe just to run a longer bolt for more stretch when torqued?

Did they put them on the pre86 flat Xmembers? Or only the 86 up W Xmembers. If its just on the W ones maybe they meant to have a longer bolt to stretch before breaking w/ the more likely to hang up W Xmember. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

17. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I've been told they are there because it helps keep the bolt tight. They are also on the steering gear box. Probably not so that you can move it out from the frame for free /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. 88jimmy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    btw why do you want to lower it anyways?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I thought with a 6" kit you had to lower the t-case, some kits include it. I thought it helped reduce d-shaft angles. I just wanted to make sure I have everything when I lift mine so I can complete the task.

You guys with 6"+ lifts....do I even need to do this? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    My question is, can I simply move the spacers to the top of the crossmember between the frame and crossmember for a 1" drop?.....will this be strong enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I did...
    I was going to go back and make a better spacer...
    but everything looks good...
    after running rocks, hills and mud... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh.. no. those are there so you can get to them without the need for a 6" deep socket. Just because spacers are in one location for purpose "a" doesnt mean they are being used in another location for the same purpose. With the tcase x-member, there is absolutely no reason for them to be there other than to lower the x-member. A beefy washer and lock nut would be a stronger and simpler setup and yet they didnt do it that way... why?

j