Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FREEBIE FREEBIE!!! ZIP, ZERO, NADA!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Sep 10, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, just wanted to brag a little bit. I scored a Toyota solid axle today with a limited slip and some 4" front springs for free this afternoon. I'm planning on finding a decent rear end to match it and doing a solid axle swap on my '99 ZR2 Blazer. I've only had the ZR2 for a month though... so I'm not sure about taking the torch to it just yet. I might wait till spring. What do you guys think? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think you should leave your DD alone before you are walking. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. TruckNutzDude

Hopefully it will just be a weekend project. I'm going to do my homework before I get out the torch /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Uhhh Toyota front axles are passengerside Drop. I though a S truck had a dreiver side drop transfer case.

Yeah good luck on a weekend project. My buddy did that swap and it took a lot more then a weekend before it was all squared away. BTY the D35 out of a newer Jeep is Vac operated and you can make it work just like it does stock with it IFS.

5. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    Uhhh Toyota front axles are passengerside Drop. I though a S truck had a dreiver side drop transfer case.

Yeah good luck on a weekend project. My buddy did that swap and it took a lot more then a weekend before it was all squared away. BTY the D35 out of a newer Jeep is Vac operated and you can make it work just like it does stock with it IFS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been looking for a D30 from a Jeep cherokee but this axle was free. I might keep looking and use this axle for something else. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

what year axle did you get?

and for matching the rear, just pull another toy. It would be plenty strong under your s-10

7. TruckNutzDude

I don't know what year the axle is from. It's a closed knuckle style with a flange mount front driveshaft. It apears to have king pins. It also has some very thin brake rotors... no internal cooling fins, just a 1/4"-3/8" disc. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

8. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

they are all closed knuckle axles. They all have a flange on the pinion as well.

Easiest way to check for year is to look at the axle truss. If there is none, its a 79-80, if it extends from the pumpkin to the knuckle, its an 84-85. If its in between, then its an 81-83.

Does it have the big 4 piston calipers or the puny 2 piston? Rotor swaps are very easy to gain a vented rotor. It sounds like you have a 79-80 by the rotor, but the thin rotor could have very easily been swapped on. My old 83 had the HD package on it, which included the massive calipers and the big vented rotors.

9. TruckNutzDude

It's got a truss between the knuckle and the pumpkin... there were no calipers on the brakes.