Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

freedom vs security...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Jul 5, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

pretty scarry stuff on TV... polls that say over 50% of americans are ready to give up freedoms to get security. Ben Franklin quotes aside... I think the real solution isn't to take away OUR freedom... but to hunt/kill terrorists/rouge nations that are overseas (or operating here) without mercy. Take away THEIR freedom, they are the ones that can't handle it.

the US ownz.

J

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    polls that say over 50% of americans are ready to give up freedoms to get security

[/ QUOTE ] Pretty typical I think. At least the other 50% aren't /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif And, of course, the security deal is mostly show, so people will give up freedom not for security, but for the HOPE of security.*shaking head*

3. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"All human situations have their inconveniences. We feel those of the present but neither see nor feel those of the future; and hence we often make troublesome changes without amendment, and frequently for the worse."

-Benjamin Franklin

4. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ... polls that say over 50% ......

[/ QUOTE ]
    These "pollsters" can word the question and target the responsents in such a way
    that it APPEARS that "X" number of people have that particular opinion, which
    usually is in the mindset of the organization funding the poll. I take very little stock
    in opinion polls. I do, however, talk to a lot of people and read as much as I can to
    form my own conclustions. I personally think "50% of all American" do not feel this way.
    IMHO.