Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Freeze Plugs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther212, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Panther212

Panther212 Registered Member

What are the symptoms of losing a freeze plug?? I'm leaking coolant, even when the motor's off. I have a feeling this is it, any other possibilities are greatly appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

It's dumping from somewhere behind the motor.... I'm gonna clean the oil off the motor so I can see better... as well as check a few other things /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

UPDATE
    Just took a look at it, doesn't appear to be leaking into the crankcase or cylinders. Verified this by the oil diptick having no evidence of water.... And I think that when coolant gets into the cylinders it results in white smoke, which I don't have.

Anyhow, it is leaking, and bad. I still think it's a freeze plug at the rear of the block but I can't see back there. Coolant is leaking from the deal right behind the crankcase and before the tcase when viewing from below (out of a little hole)... It leaks with the engine on, and off.

This is really frustrating and I'm hoping I didn't crack the block. Any input is appreciated!

2. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Dang ...that kind of sux!

If you are getting water coming out of your bellhousing then it's possible that one of the casting plugs on the backside of the block is leaking.

If it were me, I would gripe and moan about it for awhile then pick-up some meat for the BBQ and invite a few friends over to help pull the tranny / TC. That's the only way to see what the problem is. If you don't want to drop the tranny you could always pull the engine out.

The good part is that if it is just a leaking casting plug then they are cheap and easy to replace ............ after dropping the transmission. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, casting plugs (or core plugs) are what some people call freeze plugs. Somehow, someone decided that these buggers will pop out if the block freezes. I don't like that name because I've seen a few engine blocks actually freeze and I've never seen one pop out.

I think they are there to allow a place to dump the sand out after casting the block.

3. Panther212

Is it still driveable? I'm thinkin not since there's no cooling, and that could result in warped heads and much more fun stuff /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Would taking out the tranny and tcase be easier than lifting out the engine??? Looks like I'll need a cherry picker for both, right?

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I just put in new freeze plugs into my engine. Sounds like that could be what it is. I don't know much about the tranny/TC

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Goober's on the money. You'll have to drop the tranny to replace a rear frost plug. How do I know? One of my rear plugs has been leaking(only in really cold weather) for almost 3 years now.

I added a can of Restore cooling system stop-leak into the rad last year, and the leak went away. However, we just went through a 2 week cold snap and I noticed a drop of coolant on the front driveshaft just the other day....... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

You can still drive your truck as long as your opereating temps aren't high, but be forewarned that at any time the plug could pop out of the block and leave you stranded.

IMHO, it would be a lot easier to drop the tranny to do the repair.......

6. Panther212

I've never disconnected a tranny before, so this is gonna be fun. I've got experienced people to help me so I'm good. Right now I'm just wondering what the process is to drop the tranny... oh yeah, and what kind of tools will I need? (ramps, jack, etc). thanks in advance, i'm just like /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif just to replace a fawking plug on the back of the block