Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

freezeout plug??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by toocalm, Jan 28, 2006.

1. toocalm

toocalm Registered Member

I have a leak over my starter, maybe two...One is oil from the rear of the head, no major problem, with that, gonna do new heads this summer. The second appeared this week, I believe it is coolant. I have a new radiator, water pump and all hoses and all are ok. I was told by a buddy it was a freezeout plug and it is located above the starter. Its leaking on the starter connectors and causing havoc with my electrical system, such as killing my power and sot letting it crank. Anyone else deal with this? He gave me an assortment of plugs, some look like large round bottle caps and others that are rubber with tightening nut. Any help wound be appreciated, doing it in the morning. Its an 87, 350 tbi. Thanks

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't use the rubber one with the tightening nut. The correct size for a SBC is 1 5/8" cup plug. With the starter out it shouldn't be too hard to change.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Just so you know, there are also 3 or 4 frost plugs located on the back of the block behind the flywheel..........

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

SBC's with the exception of SOME 400's have 2 freeze plugs per side, and also 2 in the front and 2 in the rear along with a cam plug and 3 oil galley plugs. SOME 400 SBC's have 3 freeze plugs per side. :thumb:

5. toocalm

toocalm Registered Member

Thanks guys...will let you know what happens :k5:

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

If the coolant hose at the rear of the intake leaks, it will put coolant on your starter like stated. I would carefully check that hose before commencing to changing the freeze plugs - they can be a bear. That coolant line has an o-ring and can also leak where the fitting goes into the intake. The leak would not be obvious except by the starter.

Take a double look.

This does not apply if you are not running that style of intake (i.e. TBI)