Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Freezing computer/electrical parts?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Nov 11, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Somewhere on the internet I saw a picture, or read somewhere that someone put there harddrive in the freezer? What does that do? Just for storage or...?

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

For using it in the freezer it won't help a harddrive to put it in the freezer. Moisture on the disc could freeze and destroy it. Memory,processor,bridges, any non moving electrical component can be improved with thermal acceleration. The colder the better, within reason. That is why you can now buy ready-made water coolers for your comp.

A few years ago, I went overclocking crazy. Bumped the processor, the memory, FSB, voltages, anything I could.
    I used a compressor out of a small refrigerator to cool a chunk of copper that was attached to my processor. Under full load of a video benchmark program, the highest temp my processor got to was 3*F. Normally, the average temp was -18*F

What a pain in the a$$ it was though. Getting the copper on the processor without damaging it and have it flat was a pain. I had to put a heater under the mobo to keep it from sweating. The compressor had its own power cord. And my fully assembled case was over 45lbs. Not very LAN friendly. It stood over 2 feet tall though.
    Proper air flow is the key to keeping a system running as cool as possible. Anything you do to have extreme cooling will effect how your computer performs. Now I use the K.I.S.S principals.(Keep it simple stupid)

If you are talking about non use storage, I think it would be damaging to the moving parts because of moisture trying to freeze and push things around. Than when it thawed, you would have water in your hard drive.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It's a trick to get data from a failing drive. If you have a drive failing, and place it in the freezer for a few hours or overnight, you may be able to pull some data off it while it's cold. I don't think I've ever done it, but I know people who have had success with that technique.