Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

frenching headlights

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by surpip, Jan 17, 2005.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

anybody know how to do this? any links to write ups?, thanks,
    dale

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

awsome, your a body man ever done this?

how do you get the light out to change it?

4. ryoken

yeah, once, on an old Buick.. i used to do all kinds of high dollar restos for my millionaire bosses.. those guys would dump a 1/4 mil thru Hemmings every year.. vettes, etc...

anyways, the way we did ours was similar to what they did.. we ran 2 self-tappers in thru the back into a modified retainer ring/bucket assembly..

those guys where out of control.. that car had these wire spoke wheels that where a grand a piece. and they bought a spare too... :eek:

cool place to work tho...

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

right on i would love to do somthing like that,

so how do you changet the lighs once you have done that?
    the mini's lights are sealed beam

6. ryoken

well, where before you would go in the front and take the screws out holding the retaining ring to the bucket, those are now modified to slide out, bucket and all. you remove the whole bucket by undoing the screws that come in from the back. then undo the retaining ring from the bucket once you've pulled it out..

the key is modifying the retaining ring/bucket so they will come out the front hole. that, and making sure the bucket will sit properly in there once the back screws are in...

i worked there in the early 80's. we had some pretty state of the art equipment. big company 400 employees, 300 vehicles from mixers to planes to hotrods to dozers..

they'd spend the coin tho.. had a plasma cutter like the month they came out.. 1000 lb blaster, etc.. the one i liked was the elecro magnetic drill press for drilling truck frames. what a godsend that tool was. bitch drilling 1" holes thru that stuff with a 1/2 drill before then. :doah: :screwy:

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ahhh so the whole bucket slides out from the back huh? Hummm, i may not have enough room in my fenders for that:thinking:

8. ryoken

it comes out the front. its just attached thru the back with 2 srews thru the inner fender.. instead of the light and retaining ring coming out the front, now its those 2 plus the bucket..

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

humm not seeing how it works in my head, it loks like it would be too close to the light to get any kind of tool inbetween tha light and the trim ring:dunno: :thinking:

10. ryoken

my powers of description must be lacking... :wink1:

lets see, if i can diagram this..

l is the inner fender wall... right behind the bucket.. in our trucks case, it would be the radiator support..

C is the headlight bucket. and we'll make D the light. and O the retaining ring.

so you have this. lCDO you have a couple screws coming thru l from inside the fender. screwing into the bucket C.. those are what you take out to get the bucket, light and ring to slide out the front as one unit. so, CDO slide out the hole. once that assembly is out, then you take O off of the bucket C to get light Dout.

theres is slightly different in that they are just screwing the bucket to the old inner lip.. from the inside. no back wall.. so, yes, theirs is being mounted from the back, but they can be made to come out the front. which is what we had to do on ours.. different fender configs..

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  11. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Your post is kinda hard to read-

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

12. ryoken

hehe, the color text was screwing up when i was writing it.. thought it might be f*cked up in standard mode.. :blush: it seems to work with night vision...