Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

freon coming back!!!???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by speed_deed, Jun 16, 2001.

1. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I have been hearing alot of good things lately but the best i have heard so far is that FREON MAY BE BACK IN A COUPLE OF YEARS!!! is anyone as excited about this as I am? My dad used the last one on his cadillac well so he thought
    (hehehehehe) I had one hid way up on the top shelf and put it in my jimmy a few years back and I am telling you it makes you want to drive the thing for every small errand because of the cold air despite the fact it is a total gas hog.

Eddie Schmied 1985 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4. One hell of a coyote chasing son of a bitch.

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Sounds about right - since I converted mine to 134A[​IMG]

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Where did you get this from?

Stuck is a state of mind!

Mudstud
    76K5 sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12 locked

4. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I don't think this is correct.... Especially since just this week, my cost on a 30 # cylinder of it went to just over $1000.00
    and i'm a dealer.....

New '90 K5 sitting in my driveway !!! YIPPPIEE !!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com</A>

5. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DONT THINK THIS IS RIGHT? I HEARD THIS FROM CENTRAL HEATING AND AIR SAUDER LYGRISS TRUCKS VARIOUS PEOPLE AND ON THE INTERNET BESIDES I DID NOT EVER SAY THIS WAS TRUE BUT JUST A RUMOR. BESIDES WHO ARE YOU TO SAY THAT THIS ISNT TRUE IT MAY BE

Eddie Schmied 1985 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4. One hell of a coyote chasing son of a bitch.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Eddie, you need to calm down here. Take the caps lock off and type normal. No one here likes the BIG FRICKIN LETTERS! You need to understand that this site is an OPINION site, so, anything goes. Sure some people are going to question the rumor of the freon coming back out, but its nothing for you to get huffy with the other members about when they are saying "What? Never heard that". So man, take it easy here! [​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

7. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Chill out HEHEHE

8. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys.....

Yeah Eddie, your gonna need to relax just a bit. I wasnt claiming you to be a liar, just simply saying that im not so sure you heard correct. We dont jump on people in this forum. You can find that elsewhere. But not here, stick around, listen and watch for awhile.... you'll get the hang of it. There are some really great people here, you may find that out for yourself someday.
    Id love for R12 to come back just as much as you and everyone else here so maybe you could find and post some of your information,and sources so we all may come up to speed.
    P.S. you asked WHO AMI I ? well..... ive worked in the auto industry for the past 12 years... I think that gives me just a little bit of credability. what were you doing 12 years ago ?

New '90 K5 sitting in my driveway !!! YIPPPIEE !!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.tori89k5.coloradok5.com</A>

9. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

I have been in the refrigeration business for many years. This may not just be a rumor. First off, with The Prez's attitude about ecological issues, which is right on in 99% of the cases, he might really do the right thing and bring it back. It has been proven time and time again that one Volcano Eruption does more to the ozone layer than man has done in his entire existence on earth. The main thing with the R12 issue, to my understanding was that DuPont was losing the patent on it and didn't want anyone else to have it--this is just here say. You know how money talks!! Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me to see it come back. Still have plenty. Might even sell some at that $1000.00 per 30 pounds. ha ha Just my $.02 worth.

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

No kidding... or you'll pop that big vein in your forehead! [​IMG] I don't think it'll come back..... but that's just me. I have a friend who works for a company that puts in air conditioning units (he's a supervisor) and he says the cost would outway any benefit at this point... but who knows? Anything is possible....

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I heard (on MotorWeek) of a replacement "freon" (it has some other trade name that sounded like freon) comming out. It is supposed to work better than R134a in systems designed for R12.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

12. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

That stuff is called Arctic Air. Ive heard its nothing more than butane. It works well, just avoid head on collisions! I've also heard that Dupont lost its patent and came up with all this environmental drivel to protect their product. I was in Rocky Point Mexico in March and bought/installed some for 5 bucks a lb! (dupont) yes its real. Its against the law to bring it across the border in cans so I stuck in my system.

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

13. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I heard the same thing Triaged ... it was on a show like Popular Mechanics I think.. or something like that type show..
    The new Freon is supposed to be R-12 and r-134 friendly..
    Also I heard the same thing about Dupont losing it's patent on freon.. so it had to come up with something else to replace it.. hence the R-134a.
    I sure do miss the old R-12... [​IMG].. that was some cold stuff....
    As for the hole in the ozone layer.. scientific studies show the ozone layer isn't being depleted.. it just grows and shrinks depending on the time of year..
    G.Gordon Liddy had a Nasa scientist on his show and he confirmed this.. that the evironmentalists are the one's making a big deal about all this ozone hole crap !!!.
    One volcano eruption pollutes the air more than every vehicle ever produced.. So what we have here is environmentalists scamming everyone...
    Whew.. i think I said enough.. too much COFFEE[​IMG]

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</A>

14. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

damn tree huggers! [​IMG] I'm about sick of media and all this BS. Everything either causes cancer or prevents it. Studies show that blah blah kiss my ass. Same thing goes with the environment. everything depletes the ozone or endangers some rare species of African jungle ants. And lord only knows if those little critters died that it'd interupt the WHOLE DAMN FOOD CHAIN and 2000 years later we'll all be starving for food and we'll have to become vegetarians, but since we used r12 freon and CFC based products the ozone already kiled all the plants and we have to wear SPF500000 sunscreen to go outside. Yeah, whatever. We'll all die eventually. That's all of my rant on that. [​IMG]

-BuSH
    I'm a dislectic agnostic. I believe in a higher being, his name is DOG. [​IMG]

15. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

I agree that alot of the stuff we hear comes from buisnesses. I think we should be concieous about stuff, but when the government doesn't enforce the law that says all vehicles sould get 21mpg, then they should blame themselves and not make us suffer. They just take the cash payoff to make up for the milage difference and we get stuck with the gas bill.

Has anyone ever wondered where the Ice Caps went? The earth has been warming up for thousands of years!! Arizona has a petrified forest for goodness sakes!! Now it's desert. That didn't happen since we started driving cars. We just have the technology now to track the tempuratures and people are misconstruing the information.

I think we should recylce when possible but for goodness sakes, go after all of the manufacturing plants that are making millions and don't have to follow many enviromental guidelines. They just emit clouds of black smoke all day long probably alot more than all the local vehicles combined.

What was the question?

16. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Dupont had a 21 yr patent on R12. It is just about to run out or it ran out (not sure). So all of a sudden R12 is bad for the ozone so they came up with R134. Another 21 yr patent. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK. I think it is big buisness trying to make aother buck. When I finally do get the Blazer painted again. It will not be with Dupont paint. And it is just another reason not to like Jeff Gordon........LOL

17. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I never liked Jeff Gordon to begin with. He's a cocksucker, IMHO!!! [​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

18. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sooooo.....$1000 for 30#, huh?.....ok, since I'm getting a new GM compressor installed Tues, that's $250 for the compressor, and I think my system holds something like 5lbs(?), that another $200 for freon.....that's a lotta money for cold air....The guy put in some R12 dye, and 4lbs of "Freeze 12", which has been blowing cold for about a month after he changed that Schrader switch that was leaking...florescent lights showed no other leaks, so I'm just gonna replace my knocking compressor, and fill with R12.....should run about $500 or so...I'm surprised I didn't wait until Freon went to $5000 per 30# since that's the way I usually operate....the freeze 12 seems to be doing an adequate job, but I was told that I didn't want to leave it in there for any length of time for some reason.....I'll just pay the money and bitch about it.....Texas summers are a tad warm at times......JD

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

19. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

4 lbs? mine only takes 2.5 MAX! Even the big compreesor doesnt hold 4 lbs.

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

20. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

The only R12 type oil compatable stuff I have found that really works are the hydrocarbon belnds like duracool and enviorsafe.
    The are a isobutane propane mix have R12 or lower pressure and cool great.
    Use in my Z and burb.
    Charge is only 1/3 R12 weight.
    Costs about $6 a 6 oz can but there is a hazmat of like $15/order one can or 6 cases same flat fee.

The other down side is about 14 states don't allow it in motor vehicle but can still get it shipped there for "other uses".

It works well even at idle has R12 or lower head pressure unlike 134 crap and is compatable with current R12 oil and is big enough molecule to not constantly leak across rubber hose walls like the 134 does.

EPA alowed but must first be a non R12 system ie have to show took steps for 134 conversion (more gov BS).

Comes in cans that have R134 type top fitting.

Use 2 years now in my Z and so cold it makes my hands hurt.