Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Freshly Rebuilt NP205 w/twin stick modifcation completed - PICS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Waxer, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

This job was a little intimidating before I started, but now that it is over, it turned out to be very easy.

I went ahead and did the twin stick mod on it at the same time since it was already out.

Here are some pics of the progress and final result....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be happy to answer any questions regarding the rebuild or the twin stock mod...

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

stainless fasteners?
    looks good
    dont you wish every major component was that easy to work on?

3. Waxer

Actually I bought all new grade 8 bolts to replace the dirty OEM bolts that it had. The pictures don't show it well cause of the lighting but they have the zinc coating like standard grade 8's.

Yeah I wish everything was actually /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    SLICK...looks good!
    Did you have help gettin that bit#h in or what?
    What are you going to do about the shifter boot?

5. Waxer

No, I did it myself. I have a np205 tray that was made specifically for it. It replaces the original cup that goes in floor jacks. bolts to the floor jack itself, Makes for very easy installs. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    You lucky ba$tard!I had to muscle mine out and in with just my floor jack and a piece of plywood.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

probably too late but a list of fasteners and their sizes/length would be real handy
    maybe someone could put together a stainless hardware kit for the nutbars that dig these cases

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Nice bling!

I've got a spare case dissassembled in my shop. I can get the info if Steven does not have it handy...

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that looks nice!!! Five days and counting until Los Coyotes - get your stuff tested!

10. Waxer

I didn't write down their lengths. What I did was took in 1 of each of the old bolts and matched them up. Pricewise I'd say they costed me around 18 bucks which includes the lockwashers.

11. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

dont know to much about this but whats the benefits of twin stick 205

12. Waxer

Well normally with the 205 you have the following shift choices....

All on 1 stick, from top to bottom
    ----------------------------------
    <ul type="square">[*]4low
    [*]Neutral
    [*]2high
    [*]4high
    [/list]

After the twin stick mod, you have the following choices on 2 sticks...

<ul type="square"> Left Stick
    [*]Rear Low
    [*]Rear Neutral
    [*]Rear High
    [/list]

<ul type="square"> Right Stick
    [*]Front Low
    [*]Front Neutral
    [*]Front High
    [/list]

After doing the mod to the shift rail, the stock interlocks will prevent you from shifting front/rear into different ranges.

This will give you such useful choices as 2wd low (rear or front axle only), you will be able to do the "Tank Pivot" manuever where you disconnect the rear axle, apply the E-brake and put the front axle in low gear, then you can apply power with the wheel turned as you pivot on the rear wheels giving you a super tight turning radius.

I can't wait to try that one out.

Hope this helps....

13. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

cool thanks

14. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Waxer looks awesome. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    3 questions for you.

1. Where did you get the twins stick from, and if you made it are you willing to sell them?

2. Are you going to goto a doubler and if so, what do you need to do to make that work?

3. Just put in another stick or reconnect the twin set up for the doubler?

Thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I can tell those are grade 8 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I dont think stainless you be a good choice really mabe for some bolts but they arnt very strong. I work in a hardware store Im a bolt expert hehe /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. Waxer

[ QUOTE ]
    Waxer looks awesome. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    3 questions for you.

1. Where did you get the twins stick from, and if you made it are you willing to sell them?

2. Are you going to goto a doubler and if so, what do you need to do to make that work?

3. Just put in another stick or reconnect the twin set up for the doubler?

Thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My twin sticks are simply 2 OEM NP205 shifters. I had a 2nd full np205 setup which I took the shifter and bolt off of. I welded the 2 bolt heads together to allow mounting for both shifters. Easy eh? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Not in the market for a doubler anytime soon... no clue as to the sticks after that mod.

17. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Waxer cool thanks for the info.

18. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I put a stainless steel bolt kit into the last small block, and I will never do that again....

Every bolt would work loose, and need to be retightened. I guess this happened so you could get under it and clean off the heads while tightening down the oil pan....

Thought about Loc-Tite, but you shouldn't have to use that stuff on every bolt....

19. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

looks AWESOME!! hope it works well!! how was the rebuild? i know you said it was easy, but define easy? any special tools? i'm thinking about rebuilding my 203 while the truck is in the shop. especially stripping and painting it- i've getting into the taking things apart, rebuilding them, and painting them phase. . . i like my undercarraige to looks realy nicew, just not show style. . .showroom style.

20. Waxer

[ QUOTE ]
    looks AWESOME!! hope it works well!! how was the rebuild? i know you said it was easy, but define easy? any special tools? i'm thinking about rebuilding my 203 while the truck is in the shop. especially stripping and painting it- i've getting into the taking things apart, rebuilding them, and painting them phase. . . i like my undercarraige to looks realy nicew, just not show style. . .showroom style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basic tools pretty much did it. The only specialty tool I guess if it qualifies as one is a good set of snap ring plyers. A dial indicator was needed to check the idle gear endplay. Otherwise it was a simple bolt back together.

The hardest part I would have to say was putting the new needle bearings in the rear output shaft. Even tho I used Petroleum Jelly to hold them in place, it still was a bitch cause you also had to hold up this spacer while you put them in.

I like things to look clean too, but after my first run which is this weekend, I know everything will be dirty and I'm not into going under my rig and polishing everything after each run. To me function is more important.