Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fricken valve cover gaskets!!! I am ready to give up!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Topdown, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Ok, I cant take it anymore. driving down the damn freeway and my valve cover gaskets are letting loose enough oil that the freeway behind me looks like a damn war zone. I have tried cork, rubber, cork with steel center and rubber with steel center... I GIVE UP!

What a shitty design for GM to have 4 [darn] bolts hold down that cover!

I am going to have to take this [darn] thing somewhere and pay someone to seal my [darn] valve cover gaskets... how absolutely retarded!!

What the hell can I do to seal these damn things?

2. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

First thing to do is to make sure the bottoms of your valve covers are flat. Overtighten the bolts one time and you're screwed forever, they'll never seal again. Most leaky valve coves are caused by this. The bolts pretty much just need to be snugged just past finger tight to get the seal. Also, amke sure that you're using the little load spreader thingys under the bolts, the bolt holes will surely deform and cause leaks without them. If you're running chrome valvecovers then ditch them now, the metal is usually so thin that it warps very easily. Get some nice heavy gauge steel ones, or if you want some bling then get some cast aluminum ones, Summit has some for pretty cheap...

RTV sucks on valve covers, it's just a bandaid. Fix the problem, not the symptom...

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Buy a set of cast aluminum cover's. they'll spread the load out evenly, and no leak's with a rubber gasket. Well worth the dough, after having been banging your head on the wall for awhile. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Bling bling, yo! They probably cost less than paying someone to seal your current ones, and these ones won't warp... Plus they're shiny, Mmmm, shiny... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[​IMG]

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have cast aluminum ones too. I got them for $5. Thought about cleaning them up and said screw it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I've got a set on my 454, chevy cover's, and they don't leak a bit! Had the cover's off once to adjust valve's, same gasket, no leaky. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Get a GenV/Gen VI BBC with a molded ruber valve cover gasket...problem solved... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I got rid of my VC leak and my timing cover leak by swapping to a 454 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem, my truck had cheap chrome valve covers that were warped. I changed the gaskets a few times, then finally bought a pair of Edelbrock Chrome valve covers, much better!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif They are thicker material and better qaulity...plus they look pretty

10. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info everyone... I just put a brand new set of valve covers on it, of course, stamped steel, but no one carried a set of aluminum ones for less that 140.00 and thats way too much for me to spend ... of course, its probably cheaper than replacing gaskets all teh damn time.

11. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I am using the valve covers that Shaggy linked to. They cost me $65 through Summit. I have zero leaks with those covers using a $15 Felpro rubber gasket set. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Definately worth the money!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    What a shitty design for GM to have 4 [darn] bolts hold down that cover!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think they came out with the centerbolts? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I went with the thick aluminum valve covers and rubber gaskets for the reasons outlined aboce - stamped steel ones almost always leak unless you use long spanners on the bolts and a lot of RTV. If you RTV the gasket to the bottom of the aluminum valve cover (while its clean of any oil) then removing the valve covers for any reason usually does not destroy the gasket. Also, some heads have a pourous lip where the gaskets mate up, in the pask, I have had to do a little filing around the edges but this is risky if your not carefull as you could dig grooves and make matters worse. You have to lay it flat and run in circular motions down the length of the head - don't try and take off very much, just enough to allow the gasket to do its job. I never use RTV betwee nthe gasket and the head, and wihout center bolts stay leak free! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I would order the set that shaggy linked to but they are a "tall" cover and I cant fit a tall up next to my firewall. So, I need to find a set of regular or "short" covers.

Thanks for all the input everyone... it looks like Aluminum covers are the way to go, with a gasket RTV'd to the bottom of the cover.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Why do you think they came out with the centerbolts? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol...they leak too! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've seen 130,000 mile TBI motors come out that don't leak a drop.

I'm not saying perimeter valve covers always leak, but the stock centerbolt covers are well designed, including the internal "flange" that keeps oil from even reaching that surface.

Much less likely to overtighten the centerbolts, and the gaskets that GM designed for that application were ten times better than the stock ones that came on perimeter valve cover motors.

Still spread the load of the valve cover bolts over a larger area than the perimeter ones can ever hope to achieve.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I definitely agree with you there. I think the one piece RMS motors leak less as a whole anyway. My current engine only leaks because the oil pan has a crack in it from rusting all the way thorough. We'll see what happens when I swap that out.

Now my 4 speed/205 combo, that's a whole different story.

Then again, my 4 speed leaks a lot worse with my truck on its side than it does when it's on the ground, I recently discovered. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I cant fit a tall up next to my firewall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither could I, but a 5lb sledge "persuaded" my firewall to make room. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif In all actuallity, I only had to hit the firewall in two very small spots. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif