Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FRICKIN' TRANNY BLEW AGAIN !!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 8, 2001.

FRICKIN\' TRANNY BLEW AGAIN !!

This morning I was heading to work and my 700R4 blew up. I have 1st and 3rd gear left, I think. This is number 3 in 3 years for this Burb. I am going to look for a TH400/NP205 combo I think or get a 700R4 built by BowTie OverDrives. In the mean time I am walking !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: FRICKIN\' TRANNY BLEW AGAIN !!

I thought you had a Bowtie Overdrive tranny??

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Those 700R4's aren't good with the size tires you're running. Do you have a cooler on the tranny?

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Geez what luck! I would seriously consider who is rebuilding your trannies. I ran into the same problem with an S10 of mine where the guy swore he rebuilt my tranny. Come to find out it was an older tranny, they rebuilt it with krylon and it worked for about 8000 miles. The most recent experience I have had has been excellent. The 700r4 needs to be built by a professional, adjusted properly and have a cooler! I have been running mine for 5 years originally had 136,000 miles rebuilt last year with 169,000 and have not babied it at all! Towing a trailer, wheeling and running 38" tires. I suppose your warranty expired too right? Usually the case! Good luck

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

Sorry to heard it , but thats what ya get with a used tranny, sometimes nobody knows it just happens.

5. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

let me know if you do the swap, I might be interested in picking up that blown tranny for a rebuildable one for me. Thanks Good Luck

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

B&M has a built and beefed up 700r4 they make just for RVs and towing. Its called the traveler. Summit sells them for around $1400. I'v heard they work pretty good. Be sure to replace the torque convertre and flush all the cooling lines. And get a good trans cooler if you go with the 700R4.

7. Re: FRICKIN\' TRANNY BLEW AGAIN !!

I have big cooler !!! Stock GM Remanufactured tranny

8. Re: FRICKIN\' TRANNY BLEW AGAIN !!

I am a poor military man and couldn't afford a new or rebuild, so I got a deal on a used one and it lasted me about 7 months. I traded a NP 205 rebuildable case and 60 bucks for it so it wasn't a big loss, but trying to get another will run me around 1200 bucks.

9. Re: FRICKIN\' TRANNY BLEW AGAIN !!

I couldn't afford it at the time and ran across a used one, so I ended up with a used(hope for the best) tranny that lasted 7 months. I am debating if I should do the TH400/NP205 or get the BowTie 700R4 for $1200. It will be awhile before I get it back together. Money doesn't grow on trees !!

10. FOSGATE5

FOSGATE5 Registered Member

I don't know what modle tranny came in my 92 1500 Blazer but thank god for warranties. The truck has the oversized radiator (that typicaly was installed in the deisel pickups) and huge tranny cooler for a heavy duty towing package. The tranny started acting a little funny 6 months after I bought the truck from a local reputable dealer. Paid $650 for a 1 year warranty. In that time I popped the radiator 2 times withing the first 3 months. When the tranny started acting up last winter they said it was fine. I knew better so when I came back from the Black Hills of SD pulling a 4 place snowmobile trailer. I put her in OD knowing she would go and sure enough, took about 50 miles before she went. Dealer replaced the tranny with a brand new one out of the crate. But that goes to show you even the heavy duty tranny's wont last long. One thing that I have noticed, Chevy's are damn hard to keep trannys in. If my next rig is a Chevy you can bet I'll buy the logest running warranty they offer.

11. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Heres my 2 cents. I run a th350 in my K5 and run it hard as hell. I had it rebuilt almost 3 years ago now and it is doing just fine. I'd say to hell with the th700 tranny. I'll gladly give up the overdrive to not have to worry about a tranny rebuild every year. Also, a rebuild of the th350 is usually around $250, sure beats the price for the th700r4. In the long run I think the th350 is better for the dependability factor. Who cares about the overdrive? Not I.

12. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

I take it the Burb didn't sell huh?

<font color=red>~BigBurban</font color=red>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/crash607>http://www.geocities.com/crash607</A>

13. Re: FRICKIN\' TRANNY BLEW AGAIN !!

You are right !! I had that feeling it wouldn't and now I am kinda glad it didn't due to the tranny. I would of hated to sell it and then the tranny blow and the guy think I was trying to screw him.

14. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Waxer,

Where in the heck do you get your transmissions rebuilt? I could afford to mail mine there for that price.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

15. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Think twice on Bow Tie over drives I live close by and theirs a better shop called Atech trans ask blazen91 also had his done complete updates the whole bit.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

16. windrider

windrider Registered Member

How are the Jasper transmissions? My friend is a mechanic and they use them alot. I think they have a decent warrenty too.

17. kwcdawgfan

kwcdawgfan Registered Member

Had to have mine rebuilt last year... Blazer was slipping a little so decided to drive it to work and figured I would drop it off at the mechanics at lunch... Pulled up to a red light at 7 in the morning and FOUR cars stopped and the drivers started screaming my truck was on fire... Lifted the hood and tranny fluid had boiled out onto the exhaust and caught on fire... .Fortunately I had a towel in the blazer and was able to stand on the bumper and beat it out... Imagine it was a comical sight... Guy in a suit and tie standing on a bumper beating the H##* out of an engine with a towel... Hey it worked though...LOL

18. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

heh, Mine was rebuilt by my local tranny guy. I had to take the tranny out myself tho, which is no big deal. Dropped the tranny off and picked it up 2 days later. That price was with upgraded clutch packs and a Heavy Duty Torque Converter.

19. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

This might help you.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=566883759&r=0&t=0>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=566883759&r=0&t=0</A>

[​IMG]