Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fridge condensating?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LKJR, Jul 2, 2004.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

any idea why my refrigerator would be getting condensation in it? bad enough it's freezing at the light switch on the top where the door hits and collecting puddles in the drawers in the bottom. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

its not defrosting right possibly... I'm not a repair guy but thats what it sounds like /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Outside air getting into the freezer area can cause that. Check the gaskets around the edge of the door. Close the door with a dollar bill trapped between the gasket and fridge. There should be some resistance to pulling the bill out after the door is closed. If none, then either the gasket is shot or the door needs to be adjusted. Work your way all the way around the gasket perfroming this check. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Yup, door seals letting air in. Defrost problems result in poor airflow and cooling, so its not that. Check the hinges for worn plastic bushings as well. The corners can fold in when those wear. If the gaskets are bad PM me , I will hook you up /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Oh yeah, check the hinge screws also. My garage fridge was getting frosty inside a while back and it turned out that the screws that hold the freezer door to its hinge plates were loose. Easy fix. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

the seal seems ok, two factors I'm curious about.

1. the floor slopes some toward the front of the fridge. Enough that the door will swing open once you open it.

2. The A/C for the house (large window type unit) is in the same room as the fridge.

would either of those have an effect on this happening? seems like this all started about the same time we started using the A/C.

7. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Get a dehumidifier I guess, that will help cut down the amount of moisture in the air. Everytime you open your fridge you let in moisture.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    1. the floor slopes some toward the front of the fridge. Enough that the door will swing open once you open it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adjust the feet. Or possible hinge shim/cam is worn. Make and model and I will look it up. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Fridges rock cause they keep beer cold...........