Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Friend" badmouthing Demo Derby...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

\"Friend\" badmouthing Demo Derby...

I just told my friend I'm going to a Demolition Derby on the 10th in Colorado and he's trying to tell me those aren't cool things to go to /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

"there's nothing exciting about watching cars go slow and 'bump' into each other. I slept through the one I went to." he says... bastard... He DID go to the one at the local speedway though... I must admit that's not really what I'd call a demolition derby, just a bunch of cars that were saved from becoming rice burners smashing into each other on wet pavement...

A real demolition derby to me is BIG cars with BIG LOUD engines speeding through a dirt arena smashing into each other... Ya gotta have the smoke, fire, dirt and car parts flying, rollovers, cars gettin stuck together, and people running for their lives when the biggest baddest car around tries to come after them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh and it's gotta last a few hours at least, none of this 15 minute bull crap we have in Cheyenne...

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that... I wanted to put my Buick in a demolition derby, but it kinda died and I had to send it away to a junk yard /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I don't think he's my friend for a few minutes... badmouthin a demolition derby... holy crap...

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: \"Friend\" badmouthing Demo Derby...

[ QUOTE ]

A real demolition derby to me is BIG cars with BIG LOUD engines speeding through a dirt arena smashing into each other...

[/ QUOTE ] No no no, they gotta hose it down so it gets good and muddy. Nothing like getting mud slung on ya while watching them slide around and smashing into eachother. The best cars for the demos are early to mid 70's Chevy station wagons. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Here they either use wet asphalt or dirt...the actual derby is all full size American iron, straight pipes through the hood, cement in the doors and rockers/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and the skull & cross bones painted all over.

The imports they race figure 8 or do roll-over contests with. Nothing rolls better than an older civic...

The pick-up truck demo's hurt to watch...plenty of 14 bolts and other good Chev parts going to waste./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

we just ran our secon derby this yr on saturday nite and whooped some ass. we had 5 cars total enter from our team and 1 made it into the feature and ended up gettin 10th outta 45 cars. it was a gm wagon midsize which was in the classes with all of the fullsizes and big ass boats. the best cars u can get are imperials, checkered cabs, or hurses...but those have all been outlawed here in my town. we r even such big rednecks that we drove every single car to the derby and drove one home that was still good enuff to move on its own. but i really learned a lot from doin it like on how to strengthen the frames and stuff. gets really interestin after a while....u really get to see the weaknesses of a car. me and a friend r gonna b buying some chrysler newports to run in the august derby. they are a little but lower than the imperials...but are still one of the toughest cars ive seen.

NITRO

5. tRustyK5

The cars we regularly see outlast everything else are the big mid 70's impala's, the full size Malibu's, and the real big older Chev wagon's. It seems there are a lot of tough Mopar cars and even some decent Fords...but engine wise they don't stay running as long as anything with a worn small block.

Everyone that is serious about Demo's will take a sledge hammer and kink the rear of the body so it folds upwards.

The big fullsize Chev's also have another advantage, the rear suspension is link and coils. The leaf sprung cars get messed up back there after the back end gets hit enough...then they lose the driveshaft.

Rene

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

actually....u want leafs. coils let the ass end fold down into the ground while on the other hand the leafs pull the ass end up and away from the ground. and we usually do some reinforcing so that the rear ends stay set. and on most of the cars we use CV shafts just for that specific reason. the chryslers that we will b running will have chevy 350's and cevy trannies. but chryslers have such a better build. and by the time u get the body bolted down those things are tanks. plus u can crank up the torsion bars on em unlike gm's. to raise our gm wagon we welded a nut on the front shocks so they wouldnt move. its just a matter of who knows how to engineer the car better and still pass inspection.

NITRO

7. tRustyK5

chev power...good plan!

Ever run any Hit to pass races on an oval? Kind of like a Demo derby except at 70 mph and usually the cars last a lot longer. You must hit the car before you pass is about the only rule. The harder you hit them the better /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Chevy's really used to rule those races as well. The front ends have so much adjustment, you could get about 15 degrees of negative camber on the outside front tire no problem...add some aggressive tire stagger and a welded rear and they used to get them almost as fast as the hobby stock's.

Rene

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    we just ran our secon derby this yr on saturday nite and whooped some ass. we had 5 cars total enter from our team and 1 made it into the feature and ended up gettin 10th outta 45 cars. it was a gm wagon midsize which was in the classes with all of the fullsizes and big ass boats. the best cars u can get are imperials, checkered cabs, or hurses...but those have all been outlawed here in my town. we r even such big rednecks that we drove every single car to the derby and drove one home that was still good enuff to move on its own. but i really learned a lot from doin it like on how to strengthen the frames and stuff. gets really interestin after a while....u really get to see the weaknesses of a car. me and a friend r gonna b buying some chrysler newports to run in the august derby. they are a little but lower than the imperials...but are still one of the toughest cars ive seen.

NITRO

[/ QUOTE ] Only problem with the big mopars is if you get hit behind the front left tire at a forward 45 degree angle, they'll take out your steering real quick. I've seen it happen meny times. The older demo derbiers know how too do that one.

9. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

Imperials have been outlawed by most sanctioned demo derby groups. my friend Colin asked me what cars won out regularly at the Demo derbies, and said he was going to buy one as a bullet proof tank of a vehicle to drive around the mangled metropolitan streets of phoenix. basicaly, if it can survive a demo derby, it should be a piece of cake to not die on the streets where no one's actually trying to kill you.

I've raced in 1 demo derby event out in phoenix, and I wish to do it again some time... perhaps in the future when I have more money again, and a place to store the mangled wreck of a car to use for the demo, I'll look into it again.

the early 70's chevy wagons, are deffinately the kings of the derby... too bad I think they look too sexy to destroy... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

of course, I've always wondered if I could sneak my 1973 C10 suburban into one of those... afterall, its a 4DSW by registration, and chevy marketed them as `not just a Station wagon, its a Super Wagon!

man.. I miss the demo....

-Ddragggon

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Derbies are cool and all; but y'all that actually drive 'em ain't all there, are ya? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

we do have truck derbies too...and that includes subs and p/u's. but id never do one of those cuz they hit hard as hell. i know what ya mean by the mopar steering, but after inspection we usually finish up a few welds if ya know what i mean. we dont cheat...we just reinforce. there is a derby about 20 mins from here and they havent outlawed imperials or checkered cabs yet. id love to get a cab....but they r way too expensive. they were built on a truck platform with solid bumpers welded to the frame....strong muthas....

NITRO

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Derbies are cool and all; but y'all that actually drive 'em ain't all there, are ya? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I've driven in a few of them myself. It's not something for a weenie driver. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Demo's rock!
    I just did one a few weeks ago and will be doing it again two nights in September. PM NoAngel and get on her case about uploading the pics. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

A great adrenaline rush! I would recommend it to anyone......well almost.

14. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    The best cars for the demos are early to mid 70's Chevy station wagons.

[/ QUOTE ] No way the best cars are mid 60's early 70's mopars (especially the imperials ) so much so that many places have outlawed them from competition /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

15. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

thanx for backin me up yellow. just about the only thing that will beat an imperial is a checkered cab.

NITRO