Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Friend needs 350 long block advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by garlicbreath, Nov 17, 2005.

1. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Hey all. I have a budy in Denver that blew the 350 in his 1991 K5. He is looking for a rebuilt long block with all the tin, from a shop or a store, one piece rear main, goofy dipstick, stock TBI compatable, nothing too fancy. What are his options? I am flying down from NY in december to help him with the swap, so we gotta find something fast, in case it needs to be shipped. He doesn't want a used motor, rebuilts ok, and prolly doesn't need 4 bolt mains, like I said stock TBI ya know. Thanks in advance!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Might as well get an exact replacement.

Without modifications and more parts, swapping in anything with different components is not going to happen easily, or with perfect results.

Now if it were ME, (and I wasn't limited on time) a replacement L98, either Camaro or AL headed Corvette, would be a decent choice. Of course, there are a bunch of parts differences to wreak havoc with a swap and TBI, but for increased performance and minimal hassle, with a bit of time that could be made to work pretty nicely. Roller cam, pretty decent heads, one piece seal/two bolt main motor.

3. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Where is the best place for him to order/pick up a direct replacement motor?

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Have you tired the local dealer. They have some decent prices on stock engine assemblies. They come with a good warranty also.