Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Friend

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tshane, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

d

2. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

Re: Friend with AMC 20 axles LOL

he running 35" boggers

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

His Jeep is a lot lighter than a full-size GM truck. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif That alone will help a smaller axle live. (But I have seen guys snap Dana 60 shafts on a CJ before!)

The AMC 20 is actually a pretty stout axle, other than the stupid 2-piece axles. Swap in a set of Summer Brothers one-piece axle shafts and a 20 will take an amazing amount of abuse. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

The axles probably wont last very long. It just depends on how heavy his right foot is. A friend of mine had a AMC20 in his heep with a straight 6 and 31" tires and snapped one of the stock axle shafts. So he spent about $300 and got some good solid axles from Moser engineering. He systematically broke the everything else, but never another rear axle shaft /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

5. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

The AMC20 in the rear of a CJ is about on the same strength level as a D44. He will be fine. Yes, he is correct, a 14b with just 33" tires is way overkill. You are giving up a ton of ground clearance with such a large diff and small tire. I hope you plan on having some stout diff sliders. I bet a stock 10b would hold up to your 383 and 33's.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

1st it would be the AMC20 axle (not axles, there is no 20 front, it should be a D30).
    2nd I would rather have an AMC20 w/ one piece shafts on 35s than a FF14B on 33s. Even more so if the 20 is in a CJ. Just a note;The 20 has a bigger r&p than a D44.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

2 peice axle shafts won't last long but once he puts in one peice it makes a pretty decent axle.
    I was standing next to a friends Scrambler when the splines cut loose on a 2 peice. Pretty interesting noise to hear as the splines and keeper turn to dust /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif We put a 3/4 drive ratchet on the nut and a high lift handle and jumped on it for a while. Held long enough to get him out. Done the same trick on a couple of jeeps as a matter of fact. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1 ton on 36 and under is over kill especialy on a jeep.

8. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

yea its a dana 30 in the front