Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

friends 6.2 surges when on the governor, cant go through emissions.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by moturbopar, Jan 5, 2006.

1. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Hi all my friend bought an 83 suburban 3/4 ton with the 6.2. The thing has a newer engine and a banks turbo kit. The problem is that the engine surges at full throttle in nuetral. As soon as it hits the governor it revs up and down slightly. The problem with this is that the the emissions station said thay wont test it since its doing this. Is there a way to tune this out? Is there something wrong that needs to be repaired?
    Thanks

2. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

I'll display my ignorance of emission testing - What kind of test is full throttle on the governor in neutral supposed to be?? That's crazy!!

3. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

this doesn't really help w/ your initial problem, but i just thought i'd add this. when i go to do emissions, i'll be filling up with biodiesel b/c nothing burns cleaner than biodiesel. no mods necessary on your truck either. it's pretty pricey from the pump, but you only have have to do it to pass, right? here in oregon it's almost $3/gal. you can look online to find out where you can buy it down there.

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Put a 1" "HIDDEN" stopper/block on the underside of the gas pedal so they cant reach the governor, there remove it after testing

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run a stopper block on my gas pedal linkage underneath the dash. Limits the throttle to about 60-70% of max. I did it to help get through the emissions testing here. My truck has a manual tranny, so on the dyno they would always shift too early, then floor it and the opacity would spike while it lugged. With the throttle stop on it it passed with flying colors even with stupid driving...

For whatever it's worth the stop is still on the truck...I don't need that last part of the pedal for much of anything anyways. If I towed with it I would remove the stop though.

Rene

6. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

well we kept the throttle from going 100% and it passed with flying collors actually had 0% opacity.
    Thanks guys

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status