Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Friends, Countrymen, Romans, Lend me your vibrations stories!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Leadfoot, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

and No Wes, it did not say vibrator stories...... J/K /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Most of us know that unbalanced wheels, bent rims, improper pinion angles, improper alignment, and unbalanced driveshafts can all cause vibrations.

What I'm looking for is oddball cases of vibrations as I have checked all of that and still have a vibration. The truck is a 78 K10 with stock driveline 350/350/205/10 bolt/12 bolt/3.08's/and 31x10.5R15's. The truck is clean (no mud globs causing a vibe). I never had a vibe until this last winter. Tranny went out and was replaced along with rebuilding the t-case. "Supposedly" the tranny or t-case is not the cause because there is no sound, which the "experts" said there would be if one of those were causing that much of a vibe.

I am wondering if any of you have had a warped rotor, drum, axle, etc. that caused a weird vibe or anything else not listed above. Thanks in advance.
    Chris

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What about the tranny mounts?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. Leadfoot

Oops, forgot that too, but the tranny and motor mounts are less than a year old and I checked them to be sure (still like new). Also the vibration came several months after replacing them, so they aren't "likely" to be the culprit.

Also too, I'm wondering if poor mounts would cause a vibration? I know they will produce a clunk when going forward to reverse or accelerating and decellerating, but would they actually "cause" a vibration?

4. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

well i had a vibration about three weeks ago. i couldnt
    figure out what it was . checked everything driveline
    related. i even pulled the torque converter cover off
    and checked the converter bolts. well i kept driving figuring something will sooner or later break , then i would
    know. i went up to pick-up my 14bff and on the way back ,
    the truck broke. i found out my vibes were becouse the
    flexplate was breaking right at the center which i could
    not tell. so after a tow home and three hours of my
    time , i replaced the flexplate and problem solved!!!

5. Leadfoot

Well that gives me something to look at.......
    Also forgot to mention u-joints are new as well.

Thanks for the input.

6. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

The mainshaft in my transfer case (241) was bent, causing a vibration. The transmission shop didn't catch it when they rebuilt the transfer case, even after I suggested it might be the problem(of course a 19 year old kid couldn't be right). This probably is not your problem, but it is an oddball.

7. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I rotated the tires on the wifes old mini-van /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif once and got a bad vibe, We checked the balance and all was fine, we put the tires back in there original spots and it went away. Then I replaced the tire.

8. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

i replaced most of my body mounts /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif i haven't gotten to the pass middle one, which was rusty and isn't even there right now. that sure does cause my rig to vibe, but more like a wobble than a vibe. so i'd check your mounts but if you feel a "vibe" than i'd check the flex plate like scrappyk5 said /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I recently had one of my blades on my clutch fan break causing a pretty bad vibration. Mine was obvious, but maybe yours could have a bent blade or out of balance? One symptom of this is vibe increases with RPM, but I would think cracked flex plate would be similar.

10. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Does the vibration happen at a certain speed or does it get worse with speed?
    I just replaced a hub because the inner race was loose and spun - obviously the bearing was dry.
    Also check for badly worn ball joints, and tie rods ends.

11. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

ive had a bent flywheel and that caused some serious vibes

12. Leadfoot

It is not RPM dependent (so I ASSume that rules out cracked flywheel or bad fan). I checked yesterday by putting the truck in N going down the highway. The vibe is directly related to speed. The problem is sometimes it seems worse than others (starts at about 40 MPH slightly noticeable and gets worse as speed increases). The truck almost feels like it moves quickly side to side (like a bent rim), but the rims are straight (checked and used another set entirely to rule that out). I was thinking a bent hub, rotor, drum, etc., but not sure it would cause that much of a vibe, also how'd it get that way.

I'm going to keep looking.....I will post if I find out what it is