Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

friggin auto hub crap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by new2k5, Dec 22, 2002.

1. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

i got a chance to sneak away to do some light wheelin with my new to me 87 K5. it worked great except it would slip out of 4H into 2h by itself /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifand then when i went to leave i cant get the hubs to unlock so i have to put it in 4h to drive on the road since in 2h i get clunks and some kinda grinding noise. i am going to switch to lockouts after x mas but is there something i can do know so i dont have to drive around in 4 wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif thanks

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Remove front shaft

3. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

duh i must be retarded! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. balazerjake86

balazerjake86 Registered Member

same thing happened to me. the first time i went wheeling in my new to me 86 the auto hubs went out and i got stuck. ended up costing me a new tranny,raditor cause i was in the mud for so long. crazy thing is that we checked to see if they worked before we went out. another reason never to wheel alone.

5. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

Manual Hubs work Great!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...Dont mess around with the auto locking hubs, when i first bought my Gmc Jimmy i checked the hubs and bearings, i found that they had probably never been maintenanced or worked properly. The bearing was in a million pieces and there wasnt much left of the hub either /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.Manual Locking hubs are much more reliable. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif350/208/31's/3.73Gov-Locks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. BettyBurb

BettyBurb Registered Member

I need the warn manual hubs for my 1988 suburban half ton. Do I need the spindle nut conversion kit too, or just the hubs ???

7. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Just hubs

8. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Yup,

Like Klinkk5 said ... all you need are the hubs and max ... 30 minutes per side with basic tools.

Piece of cake ...

9. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

And when the parts store guy swears you need the spindle nut or it won't work, don't believe him.

10. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

auto hubs SUCK. you will be so much happier with a new set of warns. my auto hubs used to engage randomly at hiway speeds. then they wouldnt engage when i wanted them to, and i couldnt get them to unlock once i was back on the street. yeah they suck. ask someone to get you some for christmas!!!