Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Friggin Dell Computers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jeremy_C, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I just bought a Dell computer dimesion 3000, around the end of January. Well I go to walley world an buy Joint Operations Typhoon Rising and after I get it installed, it says my video card doesn't support it.

So I get on Dell support, an they tell me to get a PCI Video card an that'll fix it. Well **** me sideways, and A NEW computer supposed to have up to date software?......so NOW i've got to spend who knows how much on a friggin video card that should've been installed in it to begin with.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hate to break it to you, but if you're going to play computer games, plan on upgrading your video card at least once, if not twice a year, and your computer every 2-3 years.

This is why I do not play computer games anymore.......

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I had mine built to spec. All the speed parts (CPU,RAM,GRAPHICS) have lasted me 2 years and plays Doom3 fairly well. When you buy, make sure you have the ability to upgrade, and make sure what you're getting will last.

PCI isn't all that great for video, do you have an AGP slot or a PCI express?

4. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

The dell support guy said it was an onboard video card....what ever that means.

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

That means you have crap video, well usually.

Any availaable AGP or PCI express slots then?

6. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

the agp port will most likely be under or over the pci ports and be a little longer. get yourself a ati 9800 pro. problably get them rather cheap now. you will see the light. i dont care if i have to upgrade once in a while, pc graphics kill and consokes.

before you buy the card make sure you chack to see if you have an agp slot. if not buy one that is pci.

wgen you get it home, turn off your computer, install the crad, ruen on, hit delete, f8 or whatever you need to to get into the bios and shut off the internal video card. save settings and go play your new game!!!

ps, try americas army if you like war.battle games. its free and in my opinion the best game out

7. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

"You wanna play, you gotta pay"

Gaming can get pretty expensive on a PC if you wnat to play the latest and greatest games. I just installed a PCI Express video card for my neighbor that cost him over $800. :eek: .... but it's a really cool card.:cool1:

On-board video means that the video processor is actually part of (soldered to) the motherboard and it shares memory from your RAM to use for video processing. It's not the best performing setup but it works great for business applications and most of your run-of-the-mill games and stuff. Your computer has the Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 controller. It's very good video controller but it aint very fast.

Here is what your motherboard looks like:

[​IMG]

As you can see, you have three PCI slots where you can install a better video card. It's really easy : Turn computer off, put card in slot, plug monitor into new video card, turn computer on. You might want to go the extra step of installing the latest drivers for what ever card you buy just to help avoid problems.

The good part is that PCI cards are pretty cheap these days since it is older technology. Check with your local computer shop, they might give you a good deal on something. Be careful not to buy a cheasy video card 'cuz then you'll be worse off then you are now.:doah:

If you are on a budget I could look around and see what I might have. I know I have a handful of AGP cards sitting around but they won't work for you. I think I have a PCI Radeon 7000 card with 64Megs of ram on it and an S-video output(for a television:woot: ) that I could let go. I'll dig around if you want.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  8. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

the bad news is that the 3000 series is Dell's entry level budget PC, no AGP slot and minimal expansion capability. Problem you are having is that most of the newer games require Directx 8 or 9 support, as well as other functionality. That game in particular requires the following...

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DirectX 9.0 AGP video card with 32MB & HW-T&L required. 128MB or greater recommended. [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Compatible 3D cards include: nVidia GeForce 2, 3, 4, 59xx, 6xxx and ATI Radeon 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800, X800. [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We do not support the following video cards: ATI Rage, FireGL, NVIDIA Quadro, TNT/TNT2 and Vanta chipsets,Kyro,Kyro II, Intel 810 and 815, SiS, Xabre, Matrox chipsets. Video cards without pixel shaders or with less than 128MB ram will not support all graphics features[/font]

Thats going to exclude most PCI cards that are floating around, you will have to be careful what you get and don't expect a high frame rate with PCI either...

9. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

What card do ya'll recommend for me?? I like to play games on the PC, but I'm not a Die hard gamer by any means. I've got around 300 left on the dell credit card, so i could easily buy one through that. Can I get one for around that price??

10. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member