Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Friggin output shaft bearing is STUCK **$$$UPDATED$$$**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Apr 20, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I'm STILL working on the 465 rebuild. I can't find a "clam shell" bearing puller... so I have tried to rig up a few other things to no avail. I got so pissed at it today I had to walk away for the day... or I was going to start breaking stuff and throwing tools. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

What do I have to do to get this thing out? I can't take it.... about to drop off both transmissions at a shop and let them do it. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I hate to accept defeat like that too... I am a VERY sore loser. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Anyone want to sell me a clam shell bearing puller? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

PS - don't even want to look at the truck for at least 24 hours...

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Re: Friggin output shaft bearing is STUCK [pissedoff]

I don't have a puller, but I have been there many times! Try breaking off a back manifold bolt while half way through a motor install and having to yank the motor to get at it. Also try having a motor that you spent three days rebuilding the top because of a blown headgasket to only spin a rod bearing a week later. I told my dad that would happen, but he just had to have the cheaper way first. You outta see this metal jug of paint thinner that got in my way while I was mad, it dented in half now, haha. All I have to say is that how many situations have you been in where things got the better of you and you couldnt fix it? It may seem bleek, but almost all of the time we come through and can whoop and holler and give that stubborn part the finger and be smug when we get it, haha

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I thought i mentioned the bearing puller as required last thread.
    they arent too pricey, and when you are done yours I will pay you 50% or what you paid for it.

<a target="_blank" href=http://buy.snapon.com/catalog/pro_det.asp?qt=1&amp;test=Bearing+Separator%2C+2-3%2F8"%3B+%2464.80%3BCJ950%3B302&amp;INV_ONHAND=&amp;FREIGHT=&amp;qty=1&amp;Item_id=302&amp;PartNo=CJ950&amp;Price=+%2464.80&amp;ListPrice=+%2464.80&amp;FORMNAME=0&amp;Desc=Bearing+Separator%2C+2-3%2F8"&amp;SUB_Cat_ID=944299&amp;SUB_Cat_NAME=Bearing+Separators&amp;Cat_ID=944122&amp;Cat_NAME=Pullers&amp;group_id=1207&amp;group_NAME=Bearing+Separators&amp;store=snapon-store&amp;dir=catalog>snap on $57-65</a>

4. KRAZIE87K5

Yes you did MJ... I tried looking at the local places to find one, and I had no luck. I did see one at a rental place, but it was pretty beat down, and looked kinda small as does the one from Snap-on for $65. The next size up is $140! Even that one looks too small...

Anyhow... I started removing the oil pan to reseal it, and then started removing accessories, because I am also resealing the timing cover. Then I had to leave to get the tool from a rental joint before they closed... then their puller was all messed up - so I decided not to take it, and instead went to AutoZone to get a different puller which broke VERY quickly.

Maybe I'll go back to the rental place and try to buy their busted puller... it just needed to have one of the clamping bolts replaced.

-Dan

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what is the OD of the bearing?
    there is a drop down menu on the Snap site link that has a 2 1/8 or something $64 version that i thought was the correct size.
    man i hope you get this resolved, pulling for you here if that helps any.

perhaps you are looking at the small id of the puller. the puller needs a surprizingly small amount of contact area

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I got mine out with a regular 2 jaw gear puller. This can work if you can get it out far enough to get the puller jaws behind the snap ring. I had to take a couple of breathers on that job too.

7. KRAZIE87K5

Wish you could be pulling on the BEARING from there! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif It's a large bearing, not the small one behind that front lower cover... I'd have to go out to the garage to check its size.

Seriously though, thanks for sticking with me thru this MJ! What is your first name anyhow? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Dan

8. KRAZIE87K5

Blazer1970-

I haven't tried pulling with the snap ring installed.... I wonder why I over looked that?!!! Great idea... maybe I can try that a little later (have to get to church with the family.)

Then of course, how do I go about REinstalling this bearing once I get the mainshaft out and into the new trans? Even if I had a press, I can't imagine how that would be able to be used around the case of the trans...

-Dan

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Dan, I feel bad you are going thru all this hassle. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I don't know what to tell you since I have never torn apart a 465. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

BTW, m j's name is "Michael John Millar". /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Cool and very knowlegable in my book, regardless of what others say about him. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. KRAZIE87K5

Wes-
    Don't feel too bad... half of my propblem is my inexperience (just like you with the 465.) The rest of my problem yesterday was my lack of patience! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I'll get it done soon enough. I will have to do what Blazer1970 suggested, and try pulling it with the snap ring installed... can't believe that I never thought of that. DUH!

Thx for MJ's name! I like to know the name of people who help me out. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

-Dan

11. Blazer1970

The bearings are not a press fit. There is just a little bit of corrosion keeping it from slipping right out. It goes back together really easy - that's the fun part! By the way, you probably would have thought of using the snap ring today anyway. Sometimes you do have to sleep on this stuff. I was just about ready to take mine to a shop a couple of times too. If I had to do it a second time, I could have the tranny apart in 2 hours, rebuild would take less than a day.

12. KRAZIE87K5

You rock Tim!!!! Thanks for the pointers! I ground down a Craftsman puller that I have had for a long time... and it bearly squeezed in there, but it got that darn thing out!!!!

http://community.webshots.com/album/36123429pMqTgG

Now I will have to start in on the "good" trans - best part is, I get to do all this stuff twice for two seperate transmissions!

Thank God it's out. Now I can sleep without that damn bearing haunting my dreams! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Thanks all who helped, MJ, Wes, and Blazer1970 - you guys rock! Let's see if I can tear down the "good" trans by the end of the day... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

13. thatK30guy

Man! Sure is good to hear you finally got it apart!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Now I'm gonna have to hurry up and get the other stuff shipped to you. You look like you are gonna be ready to bolt in the 205 pretty quick. Can't do that without the new coupler sleeve I have waiting for you!! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Anyways, seeing those pics and hearing you finally got it apart makes me relax and relieved now!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

14. Blazer1970

Ha, ha, I think that is the exact same puller I used!

15. KRAZIE87K5

Everything is back together... I have a single good SM465 with a good output shaft. The cover is installed, and it shifts correctly! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Now, anyone have the fluid capacity of this trans?

-Dan

16. thatK30guy

Can't remember the fluid capacity, but just fill it until the fluid reaches the fill hole.