Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

frist time rebuilding need help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaw, Apr 16, 2002.

1. jjlaw

jjlaw Registered Member

some one gave me a 350 today compleat but unassebled ready to be rebuilt I haven't done one befor so I need help frist off all its a 2 bolt main and I would like to get abot 300 hp out of it and keep it smog legal I was thinking of going .30 over and a 400 cranke a edelbrock came and intake but heres where I need help do I go flat or dish pistons, do I open the valves up and if I do what size, what size rods do I use 5" or 6" what size push rods, do I spend more for roller rockers. whar compession ratio do I run to run pump gas give me a list of stuff you guys would do for a long term engin built{ about 6 months doing ot little by little won't hurt the wallet that bad that way}

2. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

350 block with a 400 crank = a 383 stroker... a 2-bolt block will work, but I'd rather invest the $$$ in a 4-bolt bottom end. Check the journal sizes to make sure the crank will work.

A general rule of thumb is multiply your compression ratio by 10 to get the octane # of the fuel you will need to run without pinging. This isn't necessarily always true... I run about 9.3:1 in my 350 and get away with 89. The engine runs slightly better with a mix of 89/92. Running straight 92 doesn't do any more for my engine than the 89/92 mix.

You can bump compression slightly higher with aluminum heads without the detonation you would see with identical iron heads.

Every variable in building an engine has to come into the equation... can't just tell you how to build a SBC in one post. Personally, I would start with a stock 350 crank, run stock 350 rods, dish pistons, and Vortec heads (or some good aluminums). Start throwing out some specs of your initial selections and I'm sure a lot of the guys on this board will be happy to lend an ear and a few words on the subject.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't run anything higher then about 9.6:1. Also I would use stock 350 rods (5.7"). If you are going to build a stroker, then you might have to have the block clearenced. If this is your first rebuild you might be better off just building a 355. 350 with .030 over, and 350 crank. There is less to worry about in the journals, and block clearences. Just get good heads, a good cam, a good intake and headers if they are legal for your truck.

I was thinking about building a stroker for my first engine, and was told that I should probably get one stockish rebuild under my belt first. So that is what I would recommend to you. I would run about 9.1:1 compression, a set of AFR, SR Torquer, or Vortech heads, a good low-midrange cam with roller rockers, an Edelbrock Performer manifold, and headers. Should give you a big boost over what you have now if you are running a stock engine. Then once you have got the experience off that motor, (and make sure it lasts) then build yourself a stroker. It would suck to build a high power stroker motor, and have it blow up right after you pull out of the driveway because you messed something up because it was your first rebuild. At least that is the way I look at it.

4. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

Hoss - Were you looking over my shoulder when I built my last 350??? I'm running a 355 with stock 350 rods & crank, mild Crane cam (can't remember # right now), Edelbrock Performer intake, Crane roller rockers and Heddman headers. Donor vehicle was a 1979 Vette /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I'm thinking about going to Vortec heads but haven't been able to justify the cost of the heads and intake when the current setup runs pretty damn good as is. Stepping down in size from the 75cc heads the engine has on it now to 64cc Vortecs might cause detonation issues due to the flat top pistons I used for the rebuild. I wish I would have used standard dish jug plugs now /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

No I wasn't looking over your shoulder. I wish I could have to see and learn some though. I probably will either build a motor like I talked about for my truck, or possibly for a buddies truck somewhere down the line. Just got to get some experience in rebuilds first. I am hoping my next motor will be the 425 HP "Muscle Car" GM 454 Crate. But I will need some tranny work for that. The motor I have now is the 300HP GM 350 crate, and I like it alot. It has alot more miles left in it, so I have some time to save for the 454.

6. lukerz

lukerz 1/2 ton status

Get some books. "How to rebuild your Small-Block Chevy" "Chevrolet Small-Block V-8 Interchange Manual" Good info here. Also have a fat wallet. Parts look cheap but add up fast. Machine shop is a killer everything is multiplied by 8. These are your bear minimum requirements. New cam , lifters, pushrods, cam bearings, gaskets, timing chain and oil pump (high volume). Probably more I can't think of right now. Don't rebuild your heads just get a set like you want, a rebuild will cost just as much. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.
    Luke