Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

From a Car Tech site............supposedly!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Mar 6, 2006.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Husband: "Why haven't you had your oil changed?"

Wife: "I didn't know it needed it. I thought a sound or light was supposed to go on when it needed one."

Husband: "IT'S A CAR, NOT A DAMN GAME SHOW!"

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Oooh, I gotta get my oil changed....

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh nowadays a sound or light do come on sadly. Thats how dumb people are. We had a 10,000 mile oil change come in last week...

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Had a repo'ed Cavalier come in a couple months ago. 34k+ and it had the ::original:: GM oil filter in it!

No wonder the ecotec was knocking :(

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

one of the guys told a story similar. said when he started, his service writer's brother came in with 15k on his F150 and it was knocking bad. After they were going back and forth about warranty the tech telling the story walked under the truck, pointed out the red paint spot on the oil filter, it was all over, no warranty.

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Changed mine last weekend 2537 miles since the last change. changin early never hurt anyone:D ... Lookin and Im gonna need a new muffler soon though:doah:

7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, my 77 is a couple weeks away from needing an oil change -- I think this'll be the first oil change I've done since I had my 80 on the road... I typically seem to change engines more often than I change oil, lol

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is it bad that I've never looked at the dipstick in my trail truck? :D :crazy:

9. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

At the engine shop the number 1 business we had was replacing engines that never had the oil changed

And you can ALWAYS tell when they haven't been changing their oil the second you pop off that oil pan.

So many times I wanted to slap the people, drag them over to the oil pan, point at the black-tar-sludge-stuff and say "LIAR! YOU HAVEN'T EVER CHANGED THE OIL!"

Because as any mechanic knows, everybody always does top notch maintenence on their vehicle. They swear up and down that they changed the oil at 3,000 miles every time.

Liars...

10. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i dont think 10k oil changes are a bad thing. hell jaguars recommend that. pretty sure hondas do that. would i do it in a truck? nope.

10k isnt so bad. if the ford engineers could use a calculator they could figure out how to have an oil life monitoring system like gm. which by the way works pretty flawlessly in my wifes car. do alot of short trip driving, light comes on right at 3k. couple long road trips. 4-5k.

but to be dumb to wait on a light? nah, i think its great that some cars are self monitoring. saves on oil. saves cash. no need to change oil excessively for the general public. hell as an auto tech, i used to love seeing customers not change their oil. more work for me.

11. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i change the oil every 4k in the VW or Mach 1 but they get full syn Mobil 1.

the blazer gets trop artic and i change it when i feel like it...actually i do it every 4 months, but its not a daily driver.

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I change my oil every 25,000 miles or once a year....depending on which comes first.:D

13. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

You're supposed to change the oil? Hell I just keep addin some every so often.