Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

From auto to stick with 6.2 Diesel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JeffHK5, Aug 10, 2006.

1. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

Looking at getting rid of the power sucking th400 for a sm 465 in my work/ toy hauler with a 6.2. What parts are unique to the 6.2 , I'm sure the fly wheel but how about the bell housing , I have heard they are the Olds type pattern? The 6.2 is totally foreign to me but I do know that with a th400 behind it pulling power is weak to say the least!

Thanks for any info , didn't get much with a search.

Jeff

2. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Search on Colby Stephans threads, I believe he just did that swap.

3. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

it is true. :) i did this swap two weeks ago, except i originally had a 700. you will absolutely love the 465 behind the 6.2. :D :D :D yeah, you'll need a new flywheel, but that's pretty much it. my clutch said it required a flanged-head bolt with a maximum flange dia. of no more than 1/2 inch, but this turned out to be impossible b/c the bolt is a 3/8 coarse, so i ended up getting a 9/16" dia. flanged head w/ a 7/16 bolt, and it worked out just fine. it's a pretty straight forward swap, not real hard. most difficult part is cutting the hole in the floor for the clutch linkage to go thru - mine turned out pretty ugly. :rollseyes: i took the tranny hump out so i could use a cherry picker, which worked great as the tranny/tcase are balanced perfectly at the adapter, so it hangs just right (w/ out the bellhousing attatchd). i superficially attatched the bellhousing to the engine, then got the tranny up into place, put it in gear and rotated the tcase output while slipping the tranny input shaft thru the clutch disk, which only took a couple of minutes. then, take the bellhousing off of the engine and attatch it to the tranny, and then bolt it back up to the engine... it makes it a ton easier this way. i'd say attatch it to the tranny at the beginning, except that would make the tranny off balance if you're hanging it from above w/ a cherry picker. that's all i can think of for now.

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

oh, the bellhousing is the same on the 6.2 - nothing about the 6.2 is oldsmobile 350 diesel. ;)

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

6. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks a bunch! :bow:

Jeff