Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

From Carb to TBI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dendeanda, Apr 24, 2007.

1. dendeanda

dendeanda Registered Member

My '85 350 engine which is carb, in my 85 blazer took a crap, couple of rods are knocking. I got a hold of a crate TBI 350 with less than 10,000 on it that came out of an '89 blazer. Have a couple of questions. Will the fuse box connections match up if I want to go TBI or should I just get a carburated intake that will match up with vortec heads and convert the new engine to carb? I know that I will have to get an external fuel pump no matter what. Thanks guys!

dennis

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'd need ALL the parts off a TBI truck (preferably K5) to make the swap.

If the engine donor is around still, rob it for parts. Not necessarily easy (time consuming) but worth it.

If the thing has Vortec heads on it, that complicates matters quite a bit when talking injection, since the TBI programming is entirely wrong for those heads, not to mention all the physical problems such as intake, EGR, etc.

3. dendeanda

So staying with carb is the way to go? I DID rob all of the parts including ALL of the wiring and harnesses including the computer. So what do ya think?

4. dyeager535

You took the fuel lines, fuel tank, fuel pump, sending unit? :)

If you are willing to sink some more money into it, perhaps. Carb is going to be a lot cheaper unfortunately.

5. dendeanda

I was planning on getting an electric fuel pump, in line fuel filter, and any other minor things that I might need. But its looking to me that carb is the easiest and cheapest way to go.

6. dyeager535

On the plus side, if the pieces you got are in good shape, they should be worth money to someone on here. You could at least finance a year membership with the proceeds I'm sure. :)