Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

From mud bogger to trail rig, more flex please :)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BogginChevy, Dec 23, 2001.

1. BogginChevy

BogginChevy Registered Member

Im looking to get good flex out of my truck. Here is what i have to work with.

8" lift Superlift front springs
    4" superlift rear springs and ORD shackle flip

I plan to use a springer shackle deal on the back once i hear back from him about prices. Can this be used in conjunction with ORD's flip or do i need to reinstall the stock hangers?

What are my options up front to match the droop of the springer kit? Anything i can do to my leafs to get them to flex more? I heard of flipping over the overload spring, what good does this do?

I used to just mud bog with thid truck but now i want to be able to give some of these jeepers a run for their money, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Face Full of Mud Off-Road Club
    www.facefullofmud.com

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Switch leafs. Possibly go to a BDS 8" lift. Superlift springs are not very soft, flexy springs at that height. Skyjacker makes an 8" for $450, too. You could even get a 6" front springs and buy the 1"lift front shackle and 1" zero-rate add-a-leaf to make it 8".

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

An 8" lift just ain't the hot ticket for crawlin'. I'd swap to a soft 4" or 6" and do a little sheet metal surgery. You really want to keep your center of gravity as low as possible...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

unless you have uber-dollars, it will be a comprimise. shackle flips will induce wheel hop in mud &amp; sand, stiff springs stink on the rocks, cutting fenders is great, but does nothing for aestics. Huge lift is good for DEEP mud, but will be a hazard on the trails. pick your posion!

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

5. BogginChevy

yeah im just looking for a happy medium. I live in michigan so moab caliber flex isnt my goal. I have to have my 8" of lift, i even have my fenders cut a little.

How much would longer front shackles and a dgree shim do for me? Anything i can do with what i have or can bolt on to increase travel?

Thanks for your help,
    Ryan

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Revolver shackles woould probably help for the butt end. Greasable bushings might help a little along with some sway-bar disconnects would help the front. The only thing is that 8" lift springs don't give much, so it'll help a little, but not an awful lot.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Keep an eye out for MI trail rides. I am trying to start getting other MI guys together. There are a few of us onthis list.

AS far as springs go. USe the front 8 inch and the flip with 4 inch rears and you will be fine for what MI has to offer. Maybe get some greasable shackles and call it a day.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 44 TSLs
    454 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

8. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Anything i can do with what i have or can bolt on to increase travel?

<hr></blockquote>

Go to a farm implement store, and buy some dry graphite that is used for lubricating planters (you should be able to get 2 lbs. for about $3-$4), and apply liberally between your leaf springs. It will make them flex a lot better, and doesn't attract dirt like grease does. You will also want to pry the clamps on your springs open a little so the springs can move easier, this will allow you to get the leafs to separate enough to put the dry graphite in without having to disassemble the springs [​IMG].

<font color=purple>Jeff427</font color=purple>

<a target="_blank" href=http://lyonsdesign.bizhosting.com>Lyons Design</a>

9. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

If you are staying with your lift then get a sway bar disconnect system, heavy duty shackles and greaseable bushings all from ORD. If have the time what helped me a lot was taking the pack apart and sanding all the paint clumps off. Mine is a superlift and I am sure the dipped my sping pack instead of spray painting it. It had large amounts of dry paint between the leaves making them bind. I took a belt sander and cleaned them up and then put axle grease on them as they went back together. It was labor intensive but I noticed a marked difference in my flex. Out front that is about all you will get with your current set up. In the rear you could do the flip of the overload thing I used a 1/4" shim between my overload and my main pack. My overload is flat, not curved like most. I tapered the ends of the shim a lot as not to make a shear point that would break my main leaf and that gained some flex as well. One other big stopper of flex is your shocks. Put some zip ties around your shock shaft and then go and flex it. If it pushes the zip ties all the way to the top then your shocks are maxing out before your suspension is.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

10. BogginChevy

Thanks for all your help! It will all be taken into consideration. Hey Ken where you at in michigan? My club is based in flint, check it out www.facefullofmud.com

Thanks Again!,
    Ryan

11. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Yes the Springer Flip can be used W/ the ORD...I have it. Hands down if you want flex do this. though it does get a little hoppity for me but i figure once I get some weight in the back a lot of that will be solved. you can get some ideas of what the flex will be like on the web site below

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye!

12. BogginChevy

I really wanted to hear that :) I'll be checking out the site right now.

Thank You,
    Ryan

13. BogginChevy

What would happen if i removed the clamps that hold the springs together? Help any? And can you make your own greaseable bushings by drilling and tapping and screwing in a grease zerk to the leaf eye? Wouldnt that graphite compound wash off in the mud? Isnt there like pads you can insert in there or are they junk? Is there a way to make your spring softer without compromising lift height? Theres a spring shop near here if its possible (i'd rather ask a dumb question here then in person there haha).

Thank You,
    Ryan

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by BogginChevy on 12/24/01 02:12 PM.</FONT></P>

14. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I just put up a close up of the suspension in the Project Scooby page at the bottom.

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye!

15. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

You can take the spring clamps off, but I prefer to open them up so they point up at a slight upward angle, this will help keep the leafs aligned. Otherwise you have to beat them back in place with a hammer every now and then. I woldn't drill and tap the leaf eye, among other problems you'd have to drill a hole in the bushing and sleeve as well to get the grease where you want it. I'm a cheap basterd so I've never tried greasable bushings, just lube em up good when I put them in. Also make sure the sleeves in your bushings are long enough so you're not squeezing them too hard.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

16. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Wouldnt that graphite compound wash off in the mud?

<hr></blockquote>
    It actually repels water somewhat. It does wash off over time, but it is really easy to reapply, because it is a powder, so you only need a very slight gap to sqirt it inbetween the springs. We use it on Mudzilla on the 12" Superlift (Superstiff [​IMG]) springs, and it made them work a lot better, and it sees a lot of mud.

<font color=purple>Jeff427</font color=purple>

<a target="_blank" href=http://lyonsdesign.bizhosting.com>Lyons Design</a>