from NP205 to Divorced T-Case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RootBreaker, Feb 8, 2002.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Nov 29, 2001
    I currently have a SMC465 trans and a NP205 T-case. I would like to get a better drive shaft angle. With my 14" leafs my front driveshaft binds and clanks.... I was told that if I go with a Divorced T-case that I could lower the case to get a better angle. I understand all the theory...
    What would I need.
    A divorced t-case
    shorty drive shaft
    cross member for t-case
    I was told a 2wd transmission. What is a good manual 2wd trans. I would suspect the 3spd w/creeper.. but is there a better one?
    Also are the divorced t-cases just a NP205 divorced?
    just thinkin if I should go this route or have my front rear knuckles ground off and the rear pitched. Even at that you can only pitch so much....

1978 Chevy 3/4 - 14" leafs -dana 44w/4.56's -14 bolt corp w/4.56's on 40x17x16.5 Ground Hawgs on 16.5x12 steel rims-NP205&SMC465
  2. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Feb 4, 2002
    im helping my housemate do a divoreced t-case right now. We used a sm465 2WD version and found a rockwell 221 t-case from a 60's chevy that was set up divorced already. You can find a divorced t-case in older dodges that will work too. Ill let you know what else we find trouble sure there wll be something :)
  3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Dec 28, 2001
    sounds like it would add more potential problems to me
    just get the dif turned properly and you will have no more DS problems

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though