Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

From single to dual master cylinder reservoir

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scavenger, Mar 31, 2001.

1. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

This is not K5 related but still in the Chevy truck family. I have an old 1968 Chevy C50 dump truck that has a single reservoir master cylinder. I think I will have to replace the present master cylinder and was wondering if I can convert it to a dual reservoir M/C, and if so, how do I do it, and what parts would I need. The only thing I know about the present brake system is that the M/C is mounted to a vaccum booster on the fire wall, and that the rear wheels have 2 wheel cylinders on each side, and the front wheels have 1 wheel cylinder each. My reason for doing this is because I would feel much safer while hauling 5 yards of whatever if I knew there was a backup system. To my knowledge if the single reservoir system M/C or other parts of this brake system fail, I will instantly have no brakes at all. Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Sorry I don't have the answers you're looking for. I would guess a 1969 C50 should have the parts (master cylinder). I know '68 was the last year for single circuit brakes (at least for cars).

But cheer up! Ever see a military 2.5ton truck (a duece & ahalf, common cargo type)? All those old timers (still in service) have single circuit brakes! Over the years I've had the misfortune to actually lose brakes on a few of those. DON'T PANIC, release the pedal and pump it a couple of times. It "should" stop. You might have to replace the driver's seat cushion though.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

i dont know if id change it or not,your m/c has a specific size piston and bore,for a specific volume and pressure of brake fluid per stroke.do some research you could prob update the system to a newer set up,from a similar rating of truck.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer silverado 400 horse 350 w/vortec heads 38 x15.5 swampers (40 hawgs next)10 bolts(blah)w/4:88s coming soon,14 bolt.

4. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Thanks dieseldan and purinsanity. I guess I will just replace the present master cylinder and hope it never fails.