fron axle shaft swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazing86, Sep 27, 2001.

1. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

Dec 24, 2000
    Im going on a trip this weekend, and i have a prettygood idea on how to swap out the axl shafts i i breakthem. Tell me if m missing anything...........
    take apart hubs
    tae off baking plate
    take off diff cover
    take out c-clips
    pull spidle off
    Is there anything that i am missing?
  2. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Feb 18, 2000
    Pull whl. and tire, pull lockout, caliper,brake rotor,spindle. Can't remember pulling backing plate. Pull out broken axle checking to see if there's a broken off piece left in the axle tube. If so, use a telescoping magnetic pick-up tool to pull it out the axle end. No C-clips on front axles. Should only have to pop diff cover if ya gotta push broken axle piece to fall inboard or if it's stuck in carrier. All I can remember...Hope it helps.

09-11-01 "We are AMERICANS we shall not fail"
  3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Jul 23, 2000
    Yeah, what Ed said. I usually pull off the backing plate right after the spindle cuz once the spindle is unbolted the backing plate is too.

If you're planning on a trail fix bring a couple of old towels you can lay the parts out on and clean them up with. I like to lay them out in the order they came off so re-assembly becomes a no brainer. Bring some grease too, some WD40 for cleaning parts, a small pic, snap ring pliers, the magnet Ed mentioned and don't forget you'll need the special socket for the wheel bearing retainer. A soft faced hammer will help with the spindle, especially if it's been awhile since its last been off. 3/8 allen socket for the caliper. And a spare lock-out hub if you have one.

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>