Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front 10 bolt and 33s?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by weisel, Feb 27, 2002.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I plan on goint to 33s in the near furture and have a 10 bolt front end and 12 bolt rear. will this combo work, or better stated, who has had this combo blow up their differentals?

No, thats not a dent in my truck's body. I call it my truck's armor.

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I ran a 10 and 12 bolt combo with 35s for a long time with no problems.Other people can blow stuf up in their driveway.It all depends on your use of the happy pedal and driving style.

What do I know,Im just a Ford guy [​IMG].<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i dont know about the 12 rear, but my front 10 and 33's work well.
    i think the 10 bolts get a lot of bad press, because people try to do crazy stuff with them. the stuff you hear about with the 10's is like 39's with 456's and they are 1976 units, with the original shafts, and people complain when they break. a little common sense goes a long way. get some hardened shafts, new bearings, and be sensible with them and they should be fine. I just bought new yukon axles from randy's ring and pinion for like 180 for both sides and the outer bearings races, and shipping.
    good luck

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

10 bolts arent as crappy as some poeple think. I run 4.56 and 35's on em no problem yet. One of my friends has 44's on his 10bolts and only had minor problems, just depedns on how you drive it and what you do with it, if you're gunna be gunning it 99% of the time and jumping it and what not then expect breakage but if its just daily driving and ocasional trail ride/ mudding, and everyhting is installed or setup correctly, expect it to last.

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 6"susp, 35" BFG Muds, CatCo Cat & Series 40 delta flow 3" tips.

5. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Yeah, don't believe all the bad things you hear about the 10 bolt. I mean, it is a vastly underrated diff. I get the feeling sometimes that some folks just jump on the bandwagon to curse the 10 bolt. I've got a 10 bolt and 12 bolt in mine w/36" Swampers.

<font color=red>"PROCRASTINATE NOW!!!"</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine</a>

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I am running the set-up right now. I also have a rear 10 bolt [​IMG] It all depends on how you drive I guess..

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>I'm Discombobulated </a>

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i had 10 bolt rear and 38"s. broke the axle shaft, 10 bolts suck no matter what way you look at em, my front 10 bolt hasnt broke yet, but give it time, they are garbage..... if you wheel you rrig 10 bolts arent a good idea

If you dont make it the first time, Drink another beer, and press a little harder on the gas

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ok, here is my take, and thoughts. Rear 10 bolts are pretty crappy. Mine has lasted with 32's for 6 yrs, but I did have to have it rebuilt once. The govlock in the rear broke. I just bought a 14bff for the rear so it won't be a problem any more. The front get a bad wrap. They are weak, but they are just as strong as a D44. If you don't run real low gear, real high HP's, real big tires, or rockcrawl then the 10 bolt front is ok. I have never had a problem with my 10 bolt front in AZ with 32's. As long as you don't do anything crazy with a front 10 bolt, and take care of it you should be fine. Just carry spare parts to be safe. If you go to my members rides, you can see my truck with stock 10 bolts and 32's. I have done a fair amount of wheeling, on it and they are fine. Most of my 4x4ing is hunting, but I have run a 3.5 rate trail with factory 10 bolts and survived. Also I have no idea what the last AZ run trail would rate, but my 10 bolts did fine there.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A 10 bolt front with 33s would survive most anything, expecially if it's got the hardened shafts...but I don't even think that's necessary.

10 bolt rears blow

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

10. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

Just curious why is your front 10 bolt garbage if it hasnt broken yet? Seems to you can break anything if you just wait long enough.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.plymouthscreenprinting.com>www.plymouthscreenprinting.com</a>

11. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I have 2 10 bolts on my '84 and I run 33's just fine.

'85 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. '84 k-5 gmc jimmy sierra. '70 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition shaker hood, steering column shift.

12. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Driving style prolly has the most influence on whether a 1/2 ton axle is going to last.... I run 35's, have the doubler, and still run stock axles..... and you've seen some of the stuff I go thru..! Sure, I've broken stuff in the front end, but good "preventive" maintenance and an easy right foot can really help things last.

BTW, an interesting note is that I broke way more stuff before I installed the doubler than since...!

Marv

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the skinny pedals kill all. Easy there killa!

If you idle up everything, its no big problem. Course, its a ratio of fun vs. breakage, vs. wallet.

14. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

ratio of fun vs. breakage, vs. <font color=green>wallet</font color=green>

Thats The TRUTH!

Late <font color=green>KEN</font color=green>
    Fremont, CA
    DANGIT it's not a bronco!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/kensk5>My Picts</a>

15. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

You should have no problem with that combo. I have been running 35s on my front 10 bolt for about 7 years now, never had one problem. And for the last two years I have had an ARB and 4.56 gears in it, no problems at all. If you use your head and keep your sanity while wheeling, it should last a long time with that combo. Don't believe all the bad press about the 10 bolt - it's not that bad of an axle.

Anything can happen, but I think you will be perfectly fine...

Keith

So Cal Big Dawgs
    President

16. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Remember, front 10-bolts are standard 3/4-ton gear, as well as 1/2-ton. They are full-floaters, after all. If you think the 6-lug vs. 8-lug issue is a big deal, take a look at the 6 tiny bolts that hold the spindle to the knuckle! The rears are worse because they are semi-floaters and they get a lot more use. In 2WD they receive all of the engine torque, where on average in 4WD, the front only gets 1/2 of the engine torque. Of course, there are some situations where it can get all of it.

The shafts and U-joints are much stronger when you are steering straight ahead. A lot of breakage comes from winding something up and then letting it grab. If you can keep the wheel/drivetrain speeds low, the peak loads through everything remain reasonable.

Myself, I would upgrade the 12bolt rear before the 10-bolt front.

<font color=green>Top signs you don't have a real 4x4:
    4) Twin Traction Beam
    3) Made by D.C.
    2) 5 lug nuts
    1) Unibody</font color=green>

17. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

It all depends on the person, how they use the vehicle, and how well it is maintained.

In general, I think the 33's should be just fine on the front 10-bolt. Sure, if you really like to banzai over rocks and up hills then expect to break an u-joint or shaft every once in a while. I agree that a lot of people bad-mouth 10-bolts just to be on the bandwagon, or just because 10-bolts are the biggest and most expensive axles you can have. Like the guy with 38's who broke one rear axle shaft but has had no problems with the front, but he still calls 10-bolts garbage........hmmmm, I'm confused!!

it may take 10,000 cycles.

From my own personal experience, my front and rear 10-bolts held up just fine with 33" tires for moderate to heavy wheeling for 2 years and no problems. The rear 10-bolt was beefed with aftermarket gears, limited slip, and h.d. 30-spline shafts. The front also had stock 30-spline shafts and an aftermarket limited slip. I then ran 35" tires for about a year, breaking 2 front axle u-joints. Both times occurred when the tires were turned sharply while trying to climb out of ruts (there is more stress on the u-joints the sharper the tires are turned). I have since swapped in a 14FF in the rear and have started running some of the hardest trails in the area, after almost a year and about a dozen trailrides I haven't broken anything else in the front 10-bolt. I am planning on putting in some fresh u-joints before the next ride.

18. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

In general, I think the 33's should be just fine on the front 10-bolt. Sure, if you really like to banzai over rocks and up hills then expect to break an u-joint or shaft every once in a while. I agree that a lot of people bad-mouth 10-bolts just to be on the bandwagon, or just because 10-bolts are the biggest and most expensive axles you can have. Like the guy with 38's who broke one rear axle shaft but has had no problems with the front, but he still calls 10-bolts garbage........hmmmm, I'm confused!!

Maintenance is also a big factor. You can't expect a front axle u-joint to hold up as well after 10 years of use as when it was new. Every part with any stress on it has what is called a fatigue life. For example, if you take a part with an ultimate breaking strength of 5,000 ft-lbs. but put a force of, let's say, 1,000 ft-lbs. on this piece and cycle it back and forth. Sure, it won't break with only 1,000 ft-lbs. on it but it will eventually break, it may take 10 cycles or it may take 10,000 cycles.

From my own personal experience, my front and rear 10-bolts held up just fine with 33" tires for moderate to heavy wheeling for 2 years and no problems. The rear 10-bolt was beefed with aftermarket gears, limited slip, and h.d. 30-spline shafts. The front also had stock 30-spline shafts and an aftermarket limited slip. I then ran 35" tires for about a year, breaking 2 front axle u-joints. Both times occurred when the tires were turned sharply while trying to climb out of ruts (there is more stress on the u-joints the sharper the tires are turned). I have since swapped in a 14FF in the rear and have started running some of the hardest trails in the area, after almost a year and about a dozen trailrides I haven't broken anything else in the front 10-bolt. I am planning on putting in some fresh u-joints before the next ride.

19. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I'm running 36's on a front 10 bolt. Haven't had problems yet, but this weekend will prolly bring out some uglies

Edit: *sigh* Sorry...10 bolt..not 12...*shakes head* I need a vacation!

<font color=red>Stupid people shouldn't tell other stupid people how not to be stupid</font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by muddin4fun on 02/28/02 10:39 AM.</FONT></P>

20. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

The legendary 12 bolt front makes it's appearance again[​IMG] - Seriously though, I bent my front 10 bolt with 33's - but my Blazer also sees alot of air time. What went under it? Another 10 bolt! Economics and weight savings - why upgrade to a much more expensive unit to replace, when I know I'll just bend it again?

......And knowing is half the battle
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>