Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front 10-bolt & Warn axles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jkuvaja, Jan 17, 2001.

1. jkuvaja

jkuvaja Newbie

Hi,
    Is there anybody who uses a WARN high strength alloy axles in front corporate 10-bot?
    The weak point in 10-bolt is short outer axle shaft, typically U-joint blow up and broke a shaft yoke.
    Warn says that this will not happen in they high strength alloy axles.
    Is that just of waist of money, should I go stronger axle? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Janne & Blazer K5

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, I think warn is blowing smoke up yer butt. I have never seen the front shafts actually break, its always the ujoint and that kills the ears on the shafts. Unless you catch it the second it happens the ears on Warns shafts get torn up also. I am sticking with stock axle shafts. I have heard that Warn warranties any breakage and then I have also heard that Warn will not warranty the ears being trashed because of a broken u joint. For the 5 to 600 bucks the Warn shafts cost, I am gonna stick with stock ones from a Junk Yard, for me they are around a hundred bucks a set for all 4 pieces.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</A>

3. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

This would probably be a good question to ask on the Off-Road Design forum as they sell these axles and were running them on their shop Blazer.
    The biggest problem is that the u-joint strength stays the same and becomes the weak link when using the chromoly Warn axles. However, Warn also offers fusible clutch rings for the locking hubs which makes them the weak link.