Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front 4" Rancho Springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DSJ, Mar 21, 2003.

1. DSJ

DSJ Registered Member

Front 4\" Rancho Springs

I have been looking at this sight for a long time but have never posted, but I have a question that I cant find the answer to so I thought I would ask you!

I just bought a 83 one ton with a 4" rancho lift in the front and stock rear. I have done a shackle flip in the back and it is now sitting on 36" swampers. On the way is a AGR rock ram and the Off Road Design cross over steering setup. My problem (other that being too long!) is the stiff front springs. I want to remove some of the leafs to make it softer and get beter flex. I am not sure which ones to remove and how many. If is sags that would be ok if I can make it up with some 0 rates. Any help would be great.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Front 4\" Rancho Springs

Cool! Another K30 owner!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I would ditch the Rancho's and buy some different springs like BDS, Skyjacker, or Tuff Country and get their soft ride springs instead. Average price for a pair of front springs can be around $200-ish. Not a bad price for the ride characteristics.

I gotta ask what do you plan to do with the truck? If you are NOT doing any flexing or crawling, I would not get the crossover setup as you will be fine with the stock type drag link and just compensate it from the lift by either using a 2" drop pitman arm (like I have on my 4" lifted K30) or a 3" raised steering arm block. It don't make sense to shell out all that dough for the crossover when you don't do any flexing or anything like that.

But those above statements are my honest opinion and should not be taken seriously if you think otherwise. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. DSJ

DSJ Registered Member

I am going to be crawling with it. I am expecting to run the con in the fall. By then it should be shortened about 24" and running on 38's. I have a limited ammount of money and I am trying to go as far as I can on it. The reason that I am replacing all the steering links is that it is so tired. I think that with 38's it wouldn't be safe on the street. I will eventualy change the front springs but for now if I can just mod them that will work. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok, now that makes more sense. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I can definitely see the use of crossover now. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would still get some flexier, softer riding springs though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agreed... i have rancho 4" springs up front and they are to stiff. get some bds springs... Im gonna. On the other hand, if you have a rat 502, a 15000# winch, and lots of other HEAVY stuff in the front of your rig... they might feel just right...

j

6. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i just ditched the stiff-o 4" springs on my k15...they were pretty bone jarring. im in the process of breaking in some Big D1ck's suspension springs. the only way to find out about puling leaves is to do it. im just worried that modified 4" springs wont have enough free arch to settle down to anything over 2"...but hey, experiment /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif