Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front 60 sheared studs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudstud, May 3, 2002.

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has sheared off his Dana 60 studs. Broke the ezouts inside them too. I've talked to him about welding another head on and backing them out. He thinks it's too far in the hole to do any welding. I haven't seen it yet. He has heard of people grinding a channel on the webbing of the housing to accomodate a large u-bolt. This would require modifing the leaf pack plate also. What do you guys think of this idea. Another one of his friends has been running a set up like this for 5 or 6 years with no problems. I dunno- I just like to see it done right. Any thoughts?

2. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

I had to do something like your talking about on my dana 70 front, I can post a pic or two, I simply drilled the hole in the back webbing, and ground the bottom. Jesse

http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albup00/aan
    this is a picture of the first setup when I was trying to get the spring plate drilled just right.

3. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

I guess what I would try is, Get a very good quality machinist drill bit and drill down thru the center of the broken stud with a small bit at first and then drill it again with a slightly larger bit and again and again until the walls of the broken stud are very thin. then I would try to get a seal pick or something down the side of it between the stud and the housing threads and pry the little bastard out of there. a little heat my work to soften itas you try to pry it out.

4. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

thats exactly what happened on my dana 60, studs sheared and then i broke an ez-out in it. I had my dad's Tool & Die company EDM it out... worked good, i wasn't the one stuck getting that SOB out!

i feel your pain, good luck

5. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

What is EDM? Thanks guys for the input.

6. kickinasphalt383

Electro Discharge Machining. shoots an electric arc that "errodes" the metal... pretty accurate.

7. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Sounds expensive. Does the axle have to be out of the truck?

8. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

I think they have to soak whatever they are using the EDM on in a tank full of electrically conductive liquid. I think. The EDM is kinda like a CNC... computer controlled. Very slow process.

9. kickinasphalt383

it was free for me /forums/images/icons/smile.gif , and i took the knuckle off the truck... which is what you will have to do if you take it anywhere anyways

10. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

No Man! I'm talking the 2 studs that hold the axle to the leaf pack. You know, the '4th u-bolt' on the pumpkin.

11. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

or u could get a dremel with a small carbide burr and grind a flat on the the top of the easy out and then get a carbide drill and drill it with that , you will just burn up a regular high speed drill on it . a masonry bit *might* work .. i do this at work quite often ...

12. kickinasphalt383

oh well that does cause a problem, a dana 60 is not as easy to carry around as a knuckle /forums/images/icons/wink.gif