Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FRONT 60S CHEVY VS. FORD, WMS TO WMS AND AXLE NECK DOWN!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brians 60s, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know the difference, if there is one between a ford 60 and chevy 60 wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface? I now know that 78-79 ford 60s, although 35 spline
    necked down the inner axle shaft, just like older chevy. are newer 60 axle shafts the same way? If not, will this 78-79 housing accept the larger axle shafts? thanks, Brian

IT'S A 1 TON THING.... IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!

2. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

The Ford D60s and GM D60s have different lenght axleshafts, the Ford long side is about 1/2" shorter than the GM and the short side is quite abit longer.They both end up being the same @69" wheel flange to wheel flange but the difference comes from the Ford housing having a longer short side tube and using shorter spindles/stub shafts/hub assemblies.
    I believe you can use the big GM long side axle shaft in the Ford it will just go deeper in the side gear but the short side will have to be custom made, I talked to Moser about there shafts and they said all there shafts were the same diameter as the splines the whole lenght until they got to the axle joint yoke then they necked down,no thanks!
    There was talk on the pirate board awhile back about the Ford neck-down and someone was selling the GM big axle shafts that were made to fit the 78-79 Ford, they took a long side shaft and shortened/resplined it to use on the short side.
    As far as using the big shafts in the Ford housing, no problem but getting the right lenghts will require some effort.
    RGF

3. man, what you plannin' now, brian? always skeemin' new ideas!

<font color=blue>Striving for K5 world dominance</font color=blue>

4. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

just working on the solid axle conversion thing to get rid of the ifs---- inferior faulty suspension. unfortunately in the newer chevys, the transfer case is driver drop.

IT'S A 1 TON THING.... IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!