Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front 8-Lug Conversion.....New Calipers needed?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, May 30, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Can I re-use the calipers from my 6-Lug D44 when I convert the front end to 8-Lug. Obviously the rotors need to be swapped for 8-Lug style, but I don't recall reading if the 8-Lug caliper is LARGER that the 6-Lug or has a different mounting hole pattern, etc.

Anyone have the "quick" answer....? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Just trying to get my parts list together for my next visit to Kragens!

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

When I put the '72 K20 axle under the front I used the 1/2 ton calipers that where already there.

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Calipers are the same, different brake pads.

4. Greg72

I'm guessing they're both taller and longer......? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Calipers are not what make them "taller or longer."

The rotors are bigger around on the 3/4 ton than the 1/2 ton. But both have the same size and part number calipers.

You are probably thinking of the "bigger" thing as the banjo bolts which hold the brake line to the caliper.

D44 banjo bolts are bigger than the 10 bolt banjo's.

6. Greg72

Wes,

Actually I had forgotten about the brake line thing....I have a set of the ORD extended SS brake lines up front, so maybe I'll have an extra hassle?

I was only thinking that if the rotor is Bigger than a normal 1/2 Ton rotor, that the "swept area" must also be larger so the pad could be larger in both dimensions to take advantage of the extra braking area.....

I guess that shows how little I know.... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. thatK30guy

Depends on if the ORD brakelines were ordered as D44 or 10bolt lines. If you ordered them to fit the D44, you are ok. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Yeah, the rotor is bigger around, but the contact patch on the machined surfaces on front and back are the same width between the 1/2 and 3/4 ton. Hence the reason to retain the calipers as usable between the other. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. Greg72

Thanks Wes,

By the way, you DO realize that these are the 8-Lug Parts you originally sold to ScoobyDan........now I've got them!

From a '79 K20 if I'm not mistaken......? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. thatK30guy

Yep, those were mine and I remember you PM'ing me asking about them. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

Whats the verdict on the pads? Do the 8 lug rotors use different pads?

I just finished my 3/4 ton conversion (8 lug front + 14FF rear) and used the old pads with new rotors. The prop valve was stuck/funky at first and I was only getting pressure to the fronts....that is the front was locking up way before the rears. I now have the prop valve working okay and the rears lock-up first but I'm getting some pulsation during moderate braking.

I didnt have the new rotors turned (new stock from Border parts) and think that's going to be the next step. It sounds like I may have overlooked the fact that the 8 lug rotors require different pads?

BTW, Greg, I absolutely LOVE the new Alcan front springs. I had to go with Rancho 9112 shocks (still duals) and move the upper shock mount up into the fender well about 2.5 inches to get full droop out of 'em.

I have some custom extended brakes line on order through 4XDoctor so I havent wheeled it much yet. Been out to Asuza and through the Rincon shortcut here in So Cal and the ride & control is way better than the stiff Rancho springs I used to run.

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

D44 (1/2 and 3/4-ton) and 10B (1/2 and 3/4-ton) Pads are the same. The calipers only differ in that the banjo bolt size is larger in the D44 calipers. AFAIK the rotors are the same D44 vs 10B...only diffrernece is 8lug vs 6lug

12. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Like I said above you can use which ever caliper and pad and brake lines are on there right now. They will work with any of the GM fronts except the D60.

13. Greg72

Matt,

Glad to hear it about those springs! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Have you done much highway driving on them yet? What about high speed bumps or irregular road surfaces?

I currently run only a single RS9000 on each side and I suspect that not enough damping for such a soft spring. Adding a front sway bar helped, but I'll get that either a larger single shock or dual-shock setup would add better control.

I get a lot of "bumpsteer" as a result of the front suspension cycling over bumps or dips in the highway......it's rather unsettling. On acceleration, the wheel pulls one way, and on braking it pulls the other. Maybe shocks are the answer? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

14. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

I've been driving freeways back and forth to work for the past few days with it. I've been cruising it between 65-75 and cant say that I've noticed any unsettling behavior over high speed bumps and such. Sure, there's some bump steer but nothing scary.

Like most SFA's I've driven it does track oddly over uneven surfaces...following the crown and such...but that too doesnt seem worse than usual.

I HAVE been noticing a bit of front end walking (?) during acceleration and braking. It's not consistient but I can feel it pulling slightly one way and then the other when braking. It has surprised me a few times but not made me feel unsafe.

One note is that I have a raised steering arm rather than a dropped pitman arm. Maybe this is playing into my slightly different bump steer behaviour? More likely its the shocks; I've been running the fronts at the #3 setting. Also, I havent put my steering stabilizer back on yet.

One other minor nit I have with these springs is that the driver side miltary wrap eye rubs on a rivet in the front hanger and I can feel that poping during slow speed turns.

I'm pleasantly surprised how little roll I get with them. For as much as they stuff/droop I was expecting to have to be very conservative in corners but it's been feeling really stable.

15. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Hey wes... while we are on this... are the spindles the same with different/larger bearings?

16. thatK30guy

Not when you have either the 1st or 2nd design spindle and the bearing from the other will not fit the other. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Get it? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

17. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I get it... I think /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif... so a 2nd design spindle from a 1/2 ton is the same as a second design spindle from a 3/4 ton right? And obviously a first design 1/2 ton spindle won't be the same as a 3/4 ton second design.

18. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OK since we are talking 6-8 conversion....I got a D44 8 lug today, but the hubs are gone. Will my Warns from my 10 b.6 lug fit? I am talking from the bearings out.

BTW It has a flat top R knuckle too! Bonus points! Cross over here I come! LOL!

19. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

My 8 lug D44 uses external bolt on hubs but if the one you have uses internal hubs then yes.

20. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Internal--external...Internal being the ones w/ the small dial, external being the big black knob. Am I right? The D44 I have is the smaller hub that is necked down, not the big all the way out type. Am I being confusing? LOL!