Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Air shocks on a K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8t7jimmy, Jul 27, 2004.

1. 8t7jimmy

8t7jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My buddie wants to put a set of air shocks on the front of his 89 K5. He is going to plow snow with the truck, so their is a lot of weight with the plow on, and very little with the plow off, and he wants to stop it from squating the front.

Has anybody else done this before? If so what appilcation were the shocks for and/or what part #'s? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

By the way, he will be running the factory dual shock setup. One air shock and one standard shock. The truck is stock height.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i've thought about doing this too, you might want to try stock rear air shocks for a K5 and use the upper mount(straight up and down). im pretty sure those are almost the same size

3. 8t7jimmy

Anybody else? Somebody on site has to have tried this before.

Any input is greatly apreciated!

4. 8t7jimmy

Anybody?

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Anybody?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well since nobody has chimed in:

I do believe that air shocks on the front of the vehicle is NOT recommended. I'm not 100% sure why but it might be due to lateral loads (due to steering) or the safety factor if one blows while turning. I wanted to do it when I was plowing to help the front end a little. I ended up just bolting in a set of shocks that had a built in helper coil spring (used to be available through NAPA) for the winter and then swapping back in the Spring.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont think air shocks would hold up to plowing very well. The air bladder/seals are not all that strong. It would prolly blow out under the stresses of plowing. it would be better to beef up the springs or at least go with front add-a-leafs