Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front and rear 10bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by iwaxmyjimmy, Nov 10, 2006.

1. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

whats the pinion spline count in the front and rear of my 87 jimmy w/ 10bolts front and rear i know the axleshafts are 28 front and 30 rear. im thinkin about puttin 4.88s and a mini spool up front w/ a ez locker in the rear. and ive got 33s so im not to worried about snaping a shaft, hub, u- joint or nething else for that matter. thanx in advance

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Im not sure on the spline count....but with a mini spool up front and an ez locker in the rear with 33's, its just a matter of time before you break something. You can find a 14ff rear with gears already in it (probably wont find 4.88's, but 4.56's is possible)for way less than a rear locker for a 10 bolt. Then run the 10 bolt up front with a lockright. I would suggest against a spooled front 10 bolt (heck..if your gonna do that why not just weld it so its free)??? A lockright should allow it to last a while and is cheap. Just a suggestion.
    -Harrison

3. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

hey pssst over here! (Looks both ways) Don't fall for the 3/4 & 1 ton hype! There are alot of people doing some hard wheeling with 1/2 axles.:haha:

I have a mini spool in the front of my 10 bolt and have had zero problems. Although I would highly suggest the X over steering for ya.

It really depends on what your doing too. BUT depending on what you want to do and how heavy your foot is, will depend on if you need 3/4 ton and up axles.

(looks both ways) flame on!!!lol

4. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

30 splines on the pinion, but the pitch of the splines is larger, making it a smaller diameter than the 28 spline axle shafts.

Remember that the axle shafts will see 4.88 x more torque than the pinion in your case (4.88 gears). The torque multiplication across the R&P is why the axle shafts are larger in diameter than the pinion spline diameter.

The same pinion spline is used on the 9.5in 14bsf, to give you an idea how strong the pinion is on a 10 bolt. You will break the shafts or carrier first.

I used to run a 10 bolt rear with lock-right,4.10 gears, 33's, and I snapped an axle shaft like it was toothpick:D Though I did get 2 years of reliable service out of the setup before breaking a shaft.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

No flames here. I have done some pretty good wheeling on my front 10 bolt with 37's and a lockright. So far it has held up. I suggested at least upgrading to a 3/4 or 1 ton rearend. A 10 bolt front is ff, so even if you do break a shaft (that why i always carry 10b spares) you can still wheel it, and fix it easily if you have spares. A 10b rear however is sf. This is the main reason I wouldnt run one in a 4x4 truck (I never drove my truck with 37's until I had a 14ff...not once). It could be very dangerous (there used to be a member here who had a 10 bolt or 12 bolt rear break while doing a steep hill climb, causing him to roll several times down the hill). When a 10b rear breaks a shaft, the tire falls off too. Not so with a ff rear. Plus, he wants to lock the rear. For less than the price of a locker for a 10 bolt, he could have a 14ff, possibly with the gears he needs already...and still have money left over to weld it or spool it. Seems like a no brainer to me.

As far as the front, for what you have the 10 bolt should be ok. Im running 37's on mine and I have only managed to break a hub on it. I know its just matter of time before a shaft lets go. It would be a good idea to carry at least spare u-joint and some spare shafts. Spare shafts are commonly found on here for under $50 for both sides. A spool (while cheap) puts a lot more stress on the front than even an auto locker (lockright). It will probably survive longer with a lockright but its more expensive than a spool. If you want a spool...why not weld it for free? Same effect, just free. Anywho, it depends on what kind of wheeling you want to do and your driving style. Remember, 33's are good now, but in a year or two, they may seem awfully small. A front D60 is nice, but if you have a 14ff and break a front axle, at least you know you can absolutely kill it in 2wd without fear of blowing it up to get you off the trail.
    -Harrison

6. iwaxmyjimmy

well i wanted to run 4.88s and 33s for a while till i got the money up for a 88 or new tcase and put a Hi pinion D60 front and put a D60 rear so i can eventually run 39.5s. my truck mainly sees mud and wont see rocks till i get the 1 tons but right now im gonna get everyone the way i want it before i swap axles and put the big tires on

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Your '87 has 28 spline axle shafts front and rear. As for the 60 f/r, Why not just get the stronger/better/cheaper 14 bolt for the rear. My 4.56 geared, Detroit locked 14bff cost a whopping $500 complete.

John

8. iwaxmyjimmy

ima go deeper than 5.38 gears once i put on some 60s

9. iwaxmyjimmy

Well time has past...... parts have been gathered..... Now I have a set of h2 wheels and 285/70R17 bfg ATs, 4.10 geared 8 lug front, and I'm searching for a 4.10 geared open diff 14 bolt. Luckly I am selling my old wheels and tires for a profit considering I abtained the wheels and tires for free.

10. skidog1us

skidog1us 1/2 ton status

Holy sandial batman...it's been 3 years,,,when do you plan to install?

11. iwaxmyjimmy

Not soon enough. Research and finding parts for the right price takes a while. I'm buying a 1 inch body lift soon to ease going flat belly here shortly, already have put the lock-rite in the front, and have a detroit for a 14 bolt. Maybe in 2011 I'll swap in x-over, 52s and 56s, gears, and get some bigger tires.

12. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

And I thought I have a low hanging pumpkin on my 14bff with 35". A 14 bolt with 33" tires is going to be even more fun.

13. iwaxmyjimmy

Thats the main reason for the front locker

14. 80' 427

80' 427 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can plow gardens as a sideline. Still I think the 14 is a smart decission. I have WAY too much in a set of 10 bolts.

15. iwaxmyjimmy

Well I have thought about machining the ring gear and hacking off the bottem of the centersection and welding 1/2" plate to get more clearance but not sure how streetable that would be