Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front and rear axle inquiry - very important

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by szymon62d, Sep 28, 2002.

1. szymon62d

szymon62d Newbie

hi there,
    I have the following problem. My axles are dead in my full size blazer. Some guy near me have for sale two axles - front and rear. Front is 10 bolt 41x15 teeth so it's 2.73 and rear is 12 bolt with factory locker 47x17 teeth so it's 2.76.
    Will this work with each other or should I buy another 2.76 or 2.73 ring&pinion set? Help please 'cause I live in Europe and don't have any possibilities to call anyone and ask :-( I need to get my blazer onto the mud. The axles were get off another junked blazer but the guy doesn't know if they worked with each other. Maybe front axle were only installed to make the truck driveable but without front driveshaft connected.
    Thanks in advance
    Szymon

2. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

It should be ok. I remember someone tell me that its normal for the front to have a SMALL SMALL difference in gear ratio.

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

It should be OK, as far as I know 1 percent difference is OK and that is aprox. what you will have. I don't know how hard it is to get parts where you live but if you can you should really try to find some axles with a better gear ratio, 2.73 is not good for offroading, look for some with 3.73 or 4.11 gears.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

true, just look at the '67-72 3/4 ton trucks, they got 4.55 front 44 and 4.57 eaton rear standard equip from factory, so.. i dunno what thery got on '73-up

what axles are dead in the blazer ?

just am curious

R

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That's is a matched set. they will never be exact if the ring gear is a differentr diameter. The front is going to be 8.5 and the rear is 8.7/8's
    I would not run that gear axle with anything larger than 30 inch tires. It will fry the automatic transmission in no time. 33's I recomend 3.73 with a 3 speed auto. 4.10 with a Overdrive.
    My guess is your truck is a mid 80's, The front axle you looking at will probably be identical to the one you have. If your current front axle is ok then I would buy the rear 12 bolt and regear it to match your current front if you have a better gear ratio.

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

>>I would not run that gear axle with anything larger than 30 inch tires. It will fry the automatic transmission in no time.

I can back that up. 2.76 gears, 33s, 350 hp and a heavy right foot are really hard on a th350. After about 2 yrs. my tranny started acting up so I changed the filter and found metal filings and clutch material in the pan. Time for the manual conversion. It's like having overdrive, but all the time.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When I bought my Jimmy it came with 2.73 front and 2.76 rear with a 4 speed standard and NP208. The truck had 33's on it/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    It really wasn't that bad with the 4 speed...you just had to use granny low to start off and 4th was like an overdrive. 1850 RPM at 65 mph...

Rene