Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front and Rear bumpers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jms0945, Mar 6, 2002.

1. jms0945

jms0945 Registered Member

Anyone know where I can get some plans or drawings on how to make front and rear bumpers ie.. welding tips, lengths, angles, that type of stuff, I don't want to steal anyone's plans away, but id much rather make the bumpers myself but I don't feel I have the experience/knowledge to start from scratch

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

This is a great question. I was thinking about making some myself for my truck. I hope someone comes thru with some info about this.

3. jms0945

yea i have some great pics of some so i have a good idea how to go about it. but ill have my Ramsey on the front with recievers on both and i just want to make REAL sure that i have things correct (measurments, ect..), just dont want to mess up anything or get anyone hurt
    MikeMike

4. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of welding mine together now. I just cut the receiver hitch mounting and backing plates with the plasma cutter. I am now set to get that together and weld the tire carrier together. My website has drawings of the bumper and I will be posting pics soon with the progress. The steel I am using is overkill but it looks to be very solid.

5. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I put a steel I-Beam in place of my rear bumper!!
    /http://coloradok5.com/gallery/MReetz-Colorado/aad/[url]

6. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/MReetz-Colorado/aad>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/MReetz-Colorado/aad</a>

7. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Thank you!!!

8. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

It's easy to make strong and good looking bumpers for a truck with a relatively flat front and rear. Try some 3 by 5 5/16" thick steel tubing. Use Channel steel the same height welded to the tubing for brackets. Bolt to frame using 3 or 4 1/2" grade 5 bolts.

9. jms0945

thanks for the input!!
    i really have no problem with what material to use just the correct measurements on the brackets going to the frame.
    any help in that area?
    Thanks again!!!!
    MikeMike

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i am going to be designing a simple rear bumper so a local fabbing buddy can built it for me. It'll be simple... basically 2x4 or 5" box steel tube, which would taper on the bottom starting at the frame rails and narrowing down to about an inch high on the ends for max clearance. It'll have a receiver centrally mounted and mounts for d-ring thingies centered on the frame rails. definitely be tucked up as high as is possible without being hit by the tail gate etc. At any rate, its nothing fancy, but I am going to fully drawn it on AutoCAD... if anyone else wanted the same design drawing (local fab guys will make things cheaper if they dont have to do all the measuring and fitting stuff themselves) I would make it available.

J

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I'd like to get a hold of those. If you could, PM the CAD files to me.

12. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I made my own that's similar to that. I used 2x6x1/4" tube in the center and 2x4 from the frame rails out to the corners, and then forward about 12 inches under the fenders to protect them from rocks. The outer pieces are swept forward 2 inches, mostly cause I thought it looked cool, but to also help departure angle at the corners a little bit. There's a hitch in the center and tow tabs at the frame rails. I used 1/8" deck plate across the top that goes under the tail pan about 2 inches to fill the gap and act as a step. I used 2 pieces of 1-5/8"x3/16" round tube on each side from the frame to the outer parts to reinforce them when they take a good strong hit from a rock (or small car... don't laugh, I was rearended 3 times in the first year that I had my truck). I know that sounds kind of confusing but that's the best I can explain it. It's about 1" from the body all the way around but I've had it completely flexed out and it nothing hits, I wouldn't go any closer though! The entire thing is held to the frame with 4 1/2" GR5 bolts per side. For now I use a spare tire carrier that fits in the hitch but this summer I'm planning on mounting the spare in the bed. Hopefully I'll be able to get some detailed pictures up soon. Keith from Rockmodified.com has some pics on his site that show what it looks like overall. At the time of that ride I didn't have the deck plate on. Here are some links to the pictures on Keith's site and my club site:

http://www.mudnuts.org/recent/newyears/imagepages/image38.htm
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudnuts.org/recent/newyears/imagepages/image37.htm>http://www.mudnuts.org/recent/newyears/imagepages/image37.htm</a>

Almost forgot, I gained nearly 8 inches of clearance by taking the stock hitch off but my gas tank is hanging out there in the open just waiting for a rock to tear into it. A very strong gas tank skid plate is in the works right now.

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i agree on the factory tow-package hitch... every time i look at it I think "good grief, look at how poopy my departure angle is and its ALL because of that stupid hitch!". My rig will never be used to tow anything beefier that a SMALL trailer that would be just big enuff for my off-road-only tires... so a hitch built into a bumper would work just fine for me. Your bumper looks a lot like what I wanna do, i will prolly have it taper more out by the edges though. i dunno if I am even gonna have an element wrap around to protect the sheetmetal behind the wheel well... maybe i'll just cut it WAY back and then have a piece of plate welded to the bottom to resist rocks. Dunno.

BTW, am I the only one that uses nothing but stainless and grade 8 hardware? LOL. Call me a nerd, but if I replace something that isnt bearing much load, i always spend the extra $ and use stainless.... and if its holding any load at all (especially stuff connected to the frame like bumpers!!) I always use the grade 8 stuff. prolly over kill, but hey, thats what building a 4x4 rig is all about. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

at any rate, good lookin bump! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

J

14. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Yeah I use stainless all the time too, it makes working on my truck SO much nicer after spending 5 months driving on road salt. I don't use GR8 hardware unless I really need it, mostly because of the cost. I figured that if I ever put enough load on that bumper to shear 8 1/2" GR5 bolts, I've probably got other more serious problems to deal with... such as where the rest of that 18 wheeler is going after it goes through my bumper!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

A little off topic but, did you make that tire carrier yourself? There is one out there that Reese makes but, I don't know how it will look. About how high is the tire carrier from the hitch, to top of the carrier? The vertical bar.

Thanks,

16. jms0945

id like a copy of your cad files if its ok Jekbrown, and as far as the tire holder being off topic (Zepplin), dont worry about it because i was probably going to ask about those too!
    thanks again for the input
    MikeMike

17. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I am also curious about the spare tire mount.

Ken H.

18. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

What is that pipe coming up off the bumper on the passenger side of your truck?

Ken H.

19. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

am I the only one that uses nothing but stainless and grade 8 hardware?

<hr></blockquote>
    Nope ... <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun56/aac>Stainless steel bumper </a>

20. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

here is my home-fabbed rear bumper. If you look where the tow hooks are mounted, thats the bottom of the frame. i welded the top piece of 2x4 on to the one between the frame rails and welded a piece of angle iron behind it. Its strong enough that i can jack the rear end off the ground with my hi-lift at the end. I am pretty sure it will hold a full size spare when I finally get it built!!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com/images/rearbump.gif>rear bumper</a>