Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front And Rear Diffs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ndestroya, Aug 6, 2005.

1. ndestroya

ndestroya Registered Member

I am a new owner of a 83 K5 blazer that i am currently re-doing. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much gear oil goes in the rear diff and also the front diff, i have a 12-bolt chevy rear and a dana 44 in the front. One last thing i was wondering how to fill them since there is no filler plug on the top- of either one, i was thinking of filling them through the breathers but i was not sure.
    Thanks Alot, Josh

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

There is a plug you remove to fill them. The 12 bolt plug I *think* is on the passenger side of the differential about half way up. The D44 plug is on the front cover. Fill them with 80W90 until oil comes out of the fill hole.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The fill plug for the 12b is on the passenger side about the same height as the pinion. If it's a leaky axle, you may have to "find" it by scraping off all the grease. A 3/8" ratchet and short extension is what removes the plug. Just fill until it comes out the hole.

As for the D44, the fill plug should be in the differential cover.

4. ndestroya

ndestroya Registered Member

Thanks alot guys i found the rear diff fill plug i just had to clean it to see it like you said. As for the dana 44 up front i saw the big plug but i didn't know if thats where i should fill it from. I am gonna do the job tomorrow morning, thanks again!
    Thanks, Josh