Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front axle and driveshaft stuff... and saggy butt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Jun 2, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

okay first of all what is so bad about the saggy butt look? it looks better than having the rear higher.

and i have 4" of suspension right now with the stock driveshafts, if i go with some zero rates on the front will i need a new driveshaft? and concerning the shaft, mudbogAD told me there was a spacer out there to "lenghten" your front shaft, is there? and where can i get one?

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Amen to the saggy but! I had 6'' lift on the front and nothin' on the back for about 5 months! Now I have 7 3/4'' on the front (in progress with longer shackles and zero rates) and 5 1/2'' on the back. This stance seems to distribute the weight better when I am jumping. I did not need a longer shaft, but did need a spacer to keep the front c/v from hitting the crossmember. You can get a spacer from superlift part #: 4310, I made my own. With the extra length from the spacer, I decided to go ahead and move the front axle forward 1'' using 1'' tall home made zero rates. BTW making my own spacer was a bigger project than I expected and IMHO it is worth it to just buy the superlift one for like $50.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My truck sags pretty bad in the rear too. My problem with it is that even though I'm not lifted, I've got a trailer hitch (stock) and it drags on departure from even the smallest dip. With the two inches of extra rear clearance, I'd probably never drag.

I will never appreciate the higher in the rear stance, but at least on a pickup (as GM does) I know its for load capacity/ride, not looks.

4. muddysub

so if i go with the zero rates that move the axle foreward i can run that spacer and every thing will be happy?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I really don't know about moving the axle forward and such, but Superlift *does* have a 1-800 tech number. (on their web site, whatever it is)

6. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

Good Lord, thank you! I installed Hill extended shackles at the same time that I had my front axle rebuilt and re-geared. When I put everything back together, I had this grinding noise from the front end and I haven't been able to figure it out. I read this post and it all came together. I climbed under the Blazer and sure enough, there is a small patch that's worn into the crossmember right below the CV joint on the front drive shaft. It's not even noticable until you climb under there and look for it. I'm going to order the kit tomorrow as well as replace the tranny mounts since they seem a little worn. The combination of both should clear up my problem. Thanks for the post, you saved me some time and aggravation!

7. muddysub

hey no preblem!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

As for using the spacer and moving the front axle forward 1'', I will say "yes, everything will be happy." I have heard of people having to shorten the front shaft when using the spacer and not moving the axle, but everyone can benefit from a better entry angle so lets move some axles!

9. muddysub

altight! lets move some axles!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif