Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front axle choice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sammy, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

In this review http://www.4x4review.com/products/drive_train/ordaxles.asp it is said (by offroad disign's stephen) that the 10bolt front is as strong as a dana44, and not far behind a 12bolt. This brings me 2 questions.

1. Why ever install a dana44.

2. Does a 12bolt front exist?

"K5 Grand GT Blazer Silverado in the Netherlands."

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

First off, most of us use whatever axle is readily available. Whether you have D44 or 10B and want the other, why waste the time or money when the other is just as good? It all depends on availability.
    As for the 12B, they are not made in front axles. Just the rearends. I think Stephen was just comparing the strength of the three, which are comparable, with the 12 B the strongest.

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I think his point was that it is not worth it to swap out a front 10-bolt for a Dana 44 as you won't gain any additional strength. I do know people around here that have done this swap thinking that they would get an increase in strength, but obviously didn't.

4. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Even swapping out a 10 bolt front for a 3/4 ton dana 44 isnt worth the swap??? Then I am confused then there is no such thing as a 3/4 ton front. They would all be 1/2 ton. Until you get the Dana 60. I am really trying to figure this out because I am looking into the swap but wanna get it right and done the second time.. lol Thanks

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

3/4 ton 10b's and D44's are only 1/2 tons with bigger brakes. (at least thats what I was led to believe....)

--matt
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</A>
    <font color=red>SIGN MY GUESTBOOK!</font color=red>

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Everything is the same inside Blazerboy... steve has a write up on his conversion to 8 lugs 3/4 ton in the tech section. That is why I went 12B... seems to me the frt 10b or D44 will break before the 12B rear. Now you know why the D60 frt's are mucho denaro!

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

7. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

o.k so if that is the case, then what are some companies that make aftermarket axels for the front and how much are they?
    I am so tossed I cant decide what to do. I have 10 bolts now I want to upgrade to something stronger, but I hate to get rid of my barely used tires and rims. I am almost tempted to get a 12 bolt and some new axels. So I can keep my rims and tires. Either way to strengthen the front I have to get axels.. or a dana 60 which is alittle over kill for me.. I think

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well look at it this way Blazerboy... How hard you gonna wheel this rig? I mean ORD has some great stuff for 10b, 12b, and D44's... the warn full floater kits... the HD frt axles etc. Stephen had a couple 1/2 ton axles he bullet proofed so you could always talk to him for more ideas. Also search back and there was a large posting of ideas to strengthen the 12B. The one I'm putting in has a steel cap on the drivers side of the carrier and both sides are studed in w/ ARP studs. The axles looked ok so decided to save my bucks and see how they fair. Moser axles w/ the Green double wide bearings would be a great upgrade for a moderate amount of money... or bullet proof it for about 800 and get the FF kit. So overall you can always upgrade as you break stuff... but a 14B is gonna be the cheaper strength. Another idea for you... find a dodge pickup w/ a dana 60 and get the perches moved and shock mounts put on... then you could always get a newer 14B SF outta a newer pickup, but once again the perches will need to be moved... but that isn't a huge deal. Otherwise just go 3/4 and sell what you have on the board... sure it will make someone happy.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI