Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front axle forward

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by ccj8008, Apr 19, 2001.

1. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

Ive seen front axles moved by drilling another hole in the main leaf (1" forward, the other leaves slide forward and bolt together). Has anyone tried this on their GM? How far can you go without modifying the drag link? I have 2.5" front springs that are flat, so castor/camber shouldn't be an issue.

2. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I've just moved my axle forward on my Blazer. I had national build me 3 new top springs. I didn't like the idea of the two holes being so close together. I moved mine 1" and had to take 1/4" off of the drag link to center the steering. I'm working with a '77 and a D60 in the front.

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I would drill a new hole in the spring perches before trying to drill the springs. Springs are very hard steel and they dont drill so easily.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'll second that, springs are very hard to drill. I drilled holes in my modified spring pack to move the axle one inch forward, it was tuff to do! I think that the space in between the U-bolts is dead, meaning it has no movement and no or little stress so hopefully it will be O.K., I don't know forsure yet sine the thing is still "a work" in progress.

Althow I do think messing with the main leaf is VERY sketchy, and you need to think it out completely! If you do not have a military wrap (two loops around the front spring eye) Then if the main leaf brakes, YOU WOULD HAVE NOTHING HOLDING THE AXLE IN PLACE!!!!.

Twiztid- I know I just contridicted myself, but thats what I know about this.

5. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

MORE makes a plate for jeeps that moves the axle forward or backwards 1".My buddy just put a pair on the front of his jeep.He had to drill the spring plate.I think the pins are the same size for the jeeps and the chevys.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster <A target="_blank" HREF=http://beautifuldisaster.coloradok5.com>http://beautifuldisaster.coloradok5.com</A>