Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front axle leak..I think

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ntx78k5, Jul 15, 2005.

1. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

I replaced my D44 front axle cover gasket as I thougt it was leaking. I get under there last night and it appears to be coming from where the drive shaft slides in on the axle side? how do you fix this and what the hell is it?
    :doah:

2. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Is it leaking out by the steering knuckle or where the front driveshaft connects? If it's coming out of the axle tubes by the knuckle, then it's the inner axle seal. If it's leaking where the driveshaft connects then it's the pinion seal. Both are a huge pain to change out. :(

3. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

it must be the pinion seal. Is it a job I can do without air tools ?

4. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

you dont need air tools.. just unbolt the driveshaft and get a 1-5/16 socket. then lock the hubs in and park the truck against a tree or something or have someone hold the brakes cuz you need to put a lot of torque on that nut.. back it off, then pull the washer & yoke straight back and there you have the seal.. its gonna be kinda hard to pry it off w/ the pinion splines poking thru but its not that hard... maybe a screwdriver or something.... clean everything up, install the new seal and put everything back together... if you have the time, i recommend buying some real find sandpaper like 600 or 800 grit (or both) or some emery cloth and polishing up the yoke where the seal rides.. you can polish it pretty easy so it doesnt tear up the new seal and so theres a smooth surface for the new seal to ride on.... put the nut back on as tight as you can get it... with the front axle there is no crush sleeve like with some chevy rear axles.. so tighten her real good and tight.. some loctite wouldnt be a bad idea either...

mike