Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front axle moved forward W\ hi-steer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by T r a i l r i g, Dec 31, 2005.

1. T r a i l r i g

T r a i l r i g Registered Member

i have standard ORD x-over now, and i want to go to hi-steer but my front axle is 1 inch forward from stock anybody know for sure if i can run it or will i have pitman arm tierod contact

btw 4 inch ezrides for suspension

2. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

not sure about one inch, but this is a pick of 3.5 inches and it hits BAD. I moved the axle but have not finished the stearing yet (or rear shackles). i am going to go to full hydro

truck 077.jpg

3. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

here is a few when the axle was in the stock location. maybe it will atleast give you some idea of the clearance. btw d60 w/ORD high steer and x-over, zero rates (stock hole)

truck 015.jpg

truck 016.jpg

truck 017.jpg

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Perp, what springs are you running (they appear to be lift springs)? Are you using Zero Rates too?

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They'll cross... I could've told you that on misfit or moo or whatever.

Go to behind the axle highsteer like the rest of us.

6. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

nvrenuf, the first pic is my curent setup. it has 4" lift 52" (rear) superlifts and a zero rate with the axle moved forward 1.5" (+ 2 more for the 52" springs for +3.5 total forward). the lower three pics are of 8" front superlifts springs and a zero rate in the stock hole. it seems like a sh!t load of lift on paper, but the weight of the 454/400/503/205 kinda crushes it down alittle. at least it did with the 8" superlifts after a few good flexes. I haven't completed the 52's, but i figure they will too. If not i will pull a leaf or maybe dump the zero rate.

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

my axel is 5" forward. i ended up switching my tie rod and drag links spots so they don't cross.

8. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

did you redrill the driver side arm, mine has only one hole (for the tie rod). if you only swap the two on the pass. side i would think the steering would work kinda goofy

9. CyberSniper

You probably hosed your ackerman angle... if you didn't end up with a steering problem related to changing the length of the lever arm also.

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

my arms have 2 holes on each arm. also I know my steering angle changed. but I also know this thing will never be over 50 mph and is off road only.

the axel will steer sharper in this set up, or have a quicker feel of turning at the wheel.

11. CyberSniper

Well, it "steers quicker" now because the length of the lever is shorter. This means you'll have increased steering effort and the number of rotations from lock to lock is less.

Most aftermarket steering arms have horrible ackerman angle anyway because they're trying to keep the TRE out of the tire then worry about everything (or nothing) else later. It's a fine art of knowing the kingpin angle, caster, camber, track width, and wheelbase to create the right arms. Some just drill a bunch of holes and hope you can figure it out.

Poor ackerman angle can increase the turning diameter of a vehicle greatly. It can also cause a feeling of understeer. On a Waggy axle in a SWB Jeep swapping between the front and rear holes on the steering knuckles causes around a 16' increase in turning diameter.

12. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I talked to James @ ORD and he told me that 2" forward was the max for it to clear. He said he runs 6" sustom springs that are 2" forward, and the draglink and TR are close but don't cross, w/ his ORD hi-steer/x-over. He did caution using a bumpstop so that there isn't a problem in the event the tire gets stuffed way up in there, just to prevent any issues.

13. T r a i l r i g

just the info i was looking for thanks a ton

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I've got my axle 1" forward, using the ORD Highsteer Arms and Crossover.

It hits...

Not terrible, but it does make contact. Pics in my .sig if you're interested. Check the WTO Ram Install gallery.

15. T r a i l r i g

so tell me how does this effect you offroad how often do you contact the pitman arm? are you happy with the result and you are running 6 inch springs right?

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

4" Custom ORD leafs up front (very soft)

I lose the paint on the tierod, but that's about the extent of the problem... I should really just move the steering box forward a little, or use a slightly smaller pitman arm. From what I remember, there is a J**p one that matches the splines, but is just a tad smaller from hole center to hole center.... :thinking:

17. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

anybody got pics of the tie-rod behind the axle?