Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front axle on a 74 K20

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Alaska K-5, May 3, 2004.

1. Alaska K-5

Alaska K-5 Registered Member

Got my eye on the above mentioned truck, talked to the owner tonight and seems the 14sf was replaced with a FF with a detroit in it. Was wondering if anyone had any insight as to what front axle this might have. I was thinking a D44 or 10 bolt????? The one cool thing, 74 is the cutoff for no emmisions /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif gotta love that!

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If its a 74, and its still stock, then its a D44 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A '74 K-20 came stock with a 14-bolt FF in the back and a Dana 44 HD up front. The front axle will have external style locking hubs as well. The axles under my '75 K5 came from a '74 K-25 (The GMC version of a K-20). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Most 3/4-ton 4WD's of that era also came with 4.10's. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

My axles are/were out of a 74 K20 and they are 4.10 geared FF14blt (was a gov loc) and a flat top equipped D44 in the front.

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

yeah should come with flat tops

6. Alaska K-5

Alaska K-5 Registered Member

Well I think I found a winner then. Went and took a look last night at the truck, I was amazed with the body. Not one dent, no rust what so ever, and the paint is great. Running gear and drivetrain worked great, no leaks and the motor is very strong(recent rebuild with some performance parts). The interior needs attention, he started to replace all the gauges but never hooked them up or replaced the bezels and trim(dash is toast!) But all in all I see tons of potential in the truck, offered him 2 grand and he accepted...I go and pick it up tonight /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif