Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Axle Play 1/4" plus

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SkyScraper, Aug 13, 2002.

1. SkyScraper

SkyScraper Registered Member

Front Axle Play 1/4\" plus

Ok I would like to know just how much trouble I'm in and what is it going to take for me to fix it. I went to change the brakes yesterday because I thought that was the problem I was having. Then when I went to the passenger side I noticed that the rotor and caliper was wobbling. So I removed the caliper, the snap ring, and the spring pushed out the hub. The rotor is still on the axle... <font color="red">how do I get that off?</font color> /forums/images/icons/confused.gif With all that out of the way I can move the axle at least a 1/4" up and down...not good! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif <font color="red"> Anybody have any idea what this maybe? Could it just be a wheel bearing or is it inside the differential? If so, what needs to be done to get to the problem? </font color> /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Any help is appreciated.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Front Axle Play 1/4\" plus

Sounds like bad or loose wheel bearing. With your hub off look in the hole and you should see a big nut that might be buried in grease. There are two ways to get this off. Beat it loose with a hammer and punch to unscrew it or get the correct wheel bearing socket that any parts store should have. My advice is to get the socket. You'll use it again sometime. Anyway, once the first nut is off there is a spacer that you will have to wiggle out. Two flatheads is what I use. Then there is one more nut. This nut is the nut that holds the whole thing on and puts tension on the bearings. You could just snug it back up but since you are already there, Take it all off and look at your bearings and see whats going on. Hope this helps out some.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

perhaps if you start at the beginning...
    what was the origonal problem you were trying to fix?
    if you are saying the axle shaft inside the hub moves a bit that is no big deal depending on how much
    if you are saying the whole hub/rotor moves up and down that is wheel bearings
    if the whole knuckle is moving that is ball joints can be a major PIA

you are throwing me with "the spring pushed out the lockout hb" part, manual hubs?

4. SkyScraper

SkyScraper Registered Member

I followed Sandman's advice today and it was the wheel bearings, but...After I spent most of the day getting the wheel bearings back on the truck. I found that after a test drive the wheel was smoking. SO I removed the wheel and loosened the hub to where there was no wobble but the wheel moved freely. (I did have it alittle to tight the first time, but it wasn't that bad) So I let the hub cool. After that I took the truck around the block and same thing happened again. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Now I have the spindle and axle out of the truck. It is believed that possibly the needle bearings in the spindle have burned up. So since the heat has to be transfered somewhere the heat is going up through the wheel bearings and that was the original cause of the other wheel bearings wore out. <font color="blue"> I did think about the cailper not releasing, but if that was the case the cailper would be untouchable but it isn't that hot. </font color>

Also when I first put new bearings on it went on without any problems, but now since I pulled the hub off and after the fact I smoked the hub. The new inner bearing, nor the old inner bearing will fit over the spindle anymore. So I'm taking them in and having them miced (micrometer) to check to see if the spindle expanded due to heat.

<font color="red"> What do you guys think...have you ever seen anything like this before? </font color> /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

<font color="red"> Does anyone know of a place to get a tech page on wheel bearing assemblies of this type of truck? </font color>

Thanks for all your help guys!!

Sandman Thanks for the info on the wheel bearing socket...did not know that!! So I had to go buy one!

Best Regards,